Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling a lawn

Options
  • 02-06-2004 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Last year I attacked my back garden and finally I think the hard work is paying off. The lawn looks quite well.

There are however a few bumbpy bits and I was wondering what would be the best way to level these. I've heard some people use sand to level patches of the garden. Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've used sand before & found that aftre the grass re-grew, the areas were very prone to scorching in the sun - perhaps its because the water drains from under the grass quicker than it would through earth, but since then I've used a small amoutn of topsil with some sand mixed in & it seems o work much better

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Victor
    For more extreme areas, cut a cross in the turf with a flat spade, with the cross centred on the lowest / highest point. Lift back the turf. Fill / excavate as necessary. Put turf back. Water and fertilise

Do not use that section for rugby practice for a few weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Thanks Andip - will do that for small hollows.

Brilliant plan Victor, thanks.

Advertisement