Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way for developing GUIs in C++

Options
  • 01-06-2004 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

(Sorry this is probably threaded to bits here on these boards but i can't really search for GUI since it's only 3 characters long, any other searches were tedious)

I'm currently checking out the VCF way from Sourceforge.net and am having trouble with the build side of it, although compiling is fine!
    So is there any other complete handy and sweet way for doing it, i'm a Java-head and a relative newbie with C++ :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

What platform are you using?

For windows,
    Visual C++ is not too bad - it's not as easy as Java, but is very close to the original Win32 API, and there is a lot of documentation tutorials etc for it.

Microsoft are encouraging people to use .net now - I havent used it myself so can't say how easy it is.

Why can't you stick with Java?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 now, but does that have Classes in it and docs and tutorials for doing GUI stuff? If so tell us where to get started with that craic.

I'm ankeling Java for the minute so i can learn C++ so i can eventually know both languages first and foremost, and i'll be then able to write C++ DLLs for Java Native calls which would have been handy for me last year, Java is too slow too and doesn't have everything i need

EDIT: In 'Microsoft Visual C++' does 'visual' refer to it having GUI capabilities, if so i'm an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Advertisement