Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing air from bungalow CH system?

Options
  • 01-06-2004 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever our central heating system is working, i.e. the pump is operating, there is a loud clunking noise, apparently coming from the pipework in the attic (we live in a bungalow!). All the radiators have been bled, so the problem isn't there, but it sounds like there's some air in the system somewhere alright.

I've been up in the attic and there are some devices attached to various places on the pipework which look as if they might be places where I might be able to bleed any air from the system, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help here?

Also looking for someone who will do a proper boiler service, i.e. take it apart and clean it replacing any parts as necessary according to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, and not just look at it, ask if I've had any problems, and when I say no charge me 100 quid for the privilege :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

those loud clunking noises aren't always associated with air in the system.
    sometimes its 'cos there's a lot of hot water with nowhere to go. try turning on a
    few or all radiators next time you hear it, or re-adjust the timer so as not to have
    too much hot water in the system.

hth..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All radiators are open already, so I don't think that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

where are you based?

Hi Pipers,

I'm in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Clunking" sounds bad. Was there water in the expansion tank (smaller than the storage tank)? Was there hot water in the expansion tank?

• Advertisement

The expansion tank has recently (12 moths ago) been replaced as the old one's diaphragm had burst. As I said, the clunking appears to be coming from the attic where the pipes run rather than the boiler itself.

Advertisement