Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proofing/Double glazing

Options
  • 31-05-2004 5:37pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am wondering how much soundproofing I could hope to get from double glazing?

I live on a terrace on a incredibly busy road no front gardens or anything.

Despite the fact that I have lived here all my life I am now finding the traffic noise very intrusive plus the volume of traffic is increasing all the time. It can be incredibly slow at some periods of the day and then in the evenings the cars just blast by - so much for a 30 mile an hour speed limit! Plus the road is breaking up due to the volume of traffic and that adds to the noise.

Any suggesions would be most welcome.

At the moment I have aluminium windows with just ordinary glass if thats the way to put it!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

if you live so close to the road like that and have the dosh go for TRIPLE gazing yes triple my gran has it and lives on a main road works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, double glazing would help, but if you want to really reduce heavy traffic noise triple glazing would be the way to go. Essentially it is a second window inside the main window with a gap of 150-200mm. It could be fitted with new windows or simply added to the existing

Just a question - are the existing windows and doors properly sealed?

If the traffic is inappropriate to the road, consider harassing your local councillor (election enxt week!) to get something done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Victor
    Yeah, double glazing would help, but if you want to really reduce heavy traffic noise triple glazing would be the way to go. Essentially it is a second window inside the main window with a gap of 150-200mm. It could be fitted with new windows or simply added to the existing

Just a question - are the existing windows and doors properly sealed?

If the traffic is inappropriate to the road, consider harassing your local councillor (election enxt week!) to get something done.

Unfortunately it is a very main, road and even the most willing politician could not do anything!

Advertisement