Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Minister Says New Driver Testing Authority Will Deliver Enhanced Testing Service

Options
  • 31-05-2004 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=5389&lang=ENG&loc=1078
    Minister Says New Driver Testing Authority Will Deliver Enhanced Testing Service
    31 May 2004

ANNOYANCE EXPRESSED OVER FACT THAT OVER 15,000 DRIVERS A YEAR FAIL TO TURN UP FOR DRIVING TEST

The Minister for Transport, Séamus Brennan T.D., said today (Monday, 31st May 2004) that a new Driver Testing and Standards Authority would be established within months with overall responsibility to accelerate delivery of an enhanced and customer focused driver testing service to the general public.

Minister Brennan said the legislation establishing the new Authority will be before the Government for approval within a matter of weeks.

"The new Authority will bring a new focus and greater flexibility to the delivery of the driving test. I have decided that this can be best achieved by establishing a new executive agency outside of the Department of Transport that it is intended will be self financing and that will be primarily charged with delivering an efficient and effective testing service, with the initial emphasis on reducing the waiting time for driving tests. The Authority will also have additional functions, including the monitoring of driving standards and recommending and implementing necessary changes in standards. In this regard, the new Authority will be responsible for the registration of driving instructors. I know this will have a beneficial effect as those taking instruction will know that tuition is being given to a high standard."

Minister Brennan, speaking in Limerick where he performed the official opening of a new Driving Test Centre at Castlemungret, said that a number of initiatives were underway to further reduce the waiting times for driving tests, including the recruitment of additional testers. He said it was also Department policy to give testing priority to those who can produce documentary evidence of their urgent need to have a driving licence for health or work reasons.

"While the numbers on waiting lists remains unacceptably high, there are reasons for us to be optimistic. I am confident that the service, with an annual capacity of approx. 200,000 tests per year is capable of meeting the underlying demand for driving tests. The numbers of applications for tests has reduced to normally expected levels.

While accepting that more has to be done to reduce numbers on waiting lists I am very disappointed that in 2003 almost 15,000 people did not attend for a driving test appointment. As well as this 6,500 people who did attend for test failed to comply with the requirements of the test and consequently could not be tested. The majority of these requirements are legal requirements. This total represents 13% of all tests conducted. While some of those who cancelled will have had valid reasons it also tells me that some people feel that they can continue to drive on a provisional licence".

The Minister added: "This is a culture that I am determined to change. When I became Minister for Transport almost two years ago, I made road safety a key priority and I announced my intention to reduce the long term reliance on provisional licences and to examine the provision whereby holders of second provisional licences could drive unaccompanied, with a view to ending that arrangement. I intend to submit detailed proposals for the reform of driver licensing, to Government shortly, which I envisage will be introduced on a phased basis".

ENDS

Advertisement