Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel...same ****e different bag

Options
  • 31-05-2004 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm crazy into the ultimate line of titles. But I'm getting really tired of some of the constant re-hashes of the regular continuity books, and would someone just kill wolverine for good, absolutely sick of seeing him pushed in so many books, every other team-up has wolverine "Wolverine & Captain America", "Wolverine & Yer Ma", he was cool back in the day, now he's just a little comercial bitch. Also, we're suddenly seeing yet another proliferation of X-titles, ah la post-AoA, this does not sit well with the Badger.

Plus...Joe Queseda said in a Wizard interview recently that regarding continuity, he wasn't pushing it on writers because he didn't want to infringe on their ability to tell good stories, (can't remember the actual quote and I'm in the lab but you get the gist). Bull*"^£. How much did Magneto *"& £ the place up in Planet X, and not a single other super hero even stuck their head in, if Straczynski can pay dues to all the other 'capes, (a la Happy Birthday), then so can every other write in the Marvel U, and this "infringement" crap is poor fettle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I don't think they should kill off wolverine but they should cut back the number of books he's in. Maybe give him another problem like they did when they removed his adamantium, or when they crippled him in AoA.

I think as you say, that the number of X books they have out there now is ruining everything. If they had stuck with Uncanny X-men and X-men but had them overlapping on the most part then that would have been great. Even going back to cable running X-force would have been nice (and Excalibur for nostalgia :)) but the way they have it now with new x-men and x-treme x-men and all of the other x-book spin offs.....I don't like it. Ultimate X-men is the only thing I really read any more, though I collect the others purely for the sake of collecting.

Would be nice if they did another AoA type break away just so that people could get a rest from all of the crap that they've been spewing out recently.

Onslaught was a nice break but it was still mostly crap. The whole "The Twelve" was long overdue. Cable's been going on about that for about 10 years!! It was about time they did that, but it was still pretty badly done.

Maybe i'm just stuck in my ways. I started getting into X-men around X-men issue 1 and Uncanny X-men issue 298 so i'm stuck in my mind of the perfect team, and the perfect battles. Even the Acolytes were a better enemy then, than most of the NEW enemies now. Plus they keep trying to throw in new X-men members instead of coming up with decent story arcs for the old ones.

Who cares if they find new mutants. There are new mutants all the time. Oh lets do some new mutants that look REALLY weird, or do REALLY strange things. So f'in what?! Stick with the older characters and actually build them up a bit more. I know not everyone will like this but I would love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

yess dammit, uncanny x-men used to be a terrific title. I also started off around the 298 mark...actually my first was #300, but I picked up #298 later on. And it was way cooler then. I think when I started out there was X-factor, Uncanny X-men, X-men, X-force, and Excalibur, plux Cable, and Wolverine. Even that was a lot of titles, but they got away with it because there was enough diversity between them to make it interesting. Now...they're all pretty much crap. I picked up "New X-men" from Planet X, seemed like a reasonable jump-on point, and I kept going through the "Tomorrow" story arc, purely for the pancils of Marc Silvestri, but even that was hyped out of all proportion, and at best a mediocre story selling on comparisons to "Days of future past".

Plus, there's no comparison between the X-men now, and the X-men when I first started collecting ten years ago...jeezus I'm an old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

they have the new revamp of the x-titles.
    they have excalibur which is xaiver on his own quest in genosha
    and they bring magneto back from the dead again! they haven't explained how yet
    they have x-men which is i think follows alex's team.
    they have new x-men academy x which contines on from new mutants i believe.
    they have astonishing x-men which is supposed to be them acting like heros again i.e. they go save people in trouble and they have new costumes to make them look more like super heros but the costumes are terrible!

anyway they are the ones i get don't know if they have also revamped some of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I think they should get rid of the solo X-men comics like Wolverine and just do short series with some of the characters mabye then they wouldn't have written so many crap storys about Wolverine and could come up with a few good storys about someone else from the X-men series. I think they could do a good story about Bishop or Iceman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Yeah, Wolverine is way over-used right now. It's inevitable really, the first X-men movie was really "Wolverine:The Movie", so now he's mainstream, and Marvel are pcking the stories out there in a bid to cashin la big time. But they're really f&^%ing the character.

I really don't think ongoing series are a great idea, I think most series would benefit hugely from only occuring as limited mini or maxi-series. You have a regular series, and there seems to inevitably be major difficulty finding impetus for the character to do anything remotely interesting, that doesn't involve writers re-telling the same stories, and re-vamping old villains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement