Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft patent the double click

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

:rolleyes:

How can ANYONE allow that to be patented? Oh my software patents will be fun if (read when) they come in over on this side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Now's about the time we need a non-profit 'patent safety organization' of some sort run by well-meaning folk to patent anything that's not patented yet, in order to avoid this kind of abuse by greedy corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

ohohoh! I'll patent the word "public" "private" "final" and "static" - that'll screw you all over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is not the double clicking they are patenting. It is the ability to double click and launch a different application.

Still a BS patent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Won't it be great when software patents come into the EU?
    This has nothing to do with "click" at all, I know it says "double click" at the abstract
    but it's about hardware push button. Just read the description half way down the document.

Also just because someone patent something it does not mean we cannot use the idea. Take seatbelt we use everyday for example. It was invented and patent by Ford, is I remember correctly. But they allow everyone to use the design freely.

• Advertisement

These kind of patents are normally used to get cash or to use as a bartering tool..

For example if someone was to sue IBM (one of/or maybe the largest patent holders) for using a patent without paying you would probably see an IBM truck arriving a few weeks later with back full of patents IBM found that company infringing on.

In the USPO the reviewers are paid by the number of patents they process, so doing heavy research takes away from them getting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It is not the double clicking they are patenting. It is the ability to double click and launch a different application.
    Well when I click on a folder once it'll select it, when I double click it will open it. Seems that kinda of application is covered by the patent.
    Also just because someone patent something it does not mean we cannot use the idea.
    One can only use it so long as Microsoft allow someone to use it. They could let everyone use it, but they could try to stop people from using it.

Originally posted by Syth
    Well when I click on a folder once it'll select it, when I double click it will open it. Seems that kinda of application is covered by the patent.

Actually it isn't. You can see this in the first section.
    A method and system are provided for extending the functionality of application buttons on a limited resource computing device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It's all full of legalese (like most patents), and only patent lawyer/judges can say with some sort of certainty. An argument could be made that double-clicking is covered by this patent, and I'm sure it'd be possible to argue that in court. Either way it's a very bad patent that effects US programmers, as they now have to be careful every time they use some kind 'click once for A, twice for B' type thinge, as they might get sued in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Originally posted by Syth

I thought this is about Hardware Application Button on devices like palm. So the "double click" does not refers to mouse click.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by str8_away
    Take seatbelt we use everyday for example. It was invented and patent by Ford, is I remember correctly. But they allow everyone to use the design freely.

Volvo invented the 3 point seat belt we all love and use, but they could have restricted it, if they wanted.

Whom do you trust more. Volvo or Micro$oft.

gerard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tommytom

Originally posted by GerardKeating

Whom do you trust more. Volvo or Micro$oft.

gerard

At least Volvo have standards and make things that work, or are guaranteed to work without weekly upgrades...

:mad:

Seanie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Monthly :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that CISCO are trying to patent a fix for a TCPIP vunerability....

imagine if the guys who gave us msblaster etc. patented the concept of fixing or blocking it.

Unlike copyright, patents are not specific, they describe the concept not the actual invention so they cannot be said to help innovation.

BTW: how many people have rich on patents ?
    Edison does not count since he usurped the work of underlings and retrospectivally invented cinema (US been robbing our rights for ages)

Advertisement