Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Teanga Books, Cds & DVD

Options
  • 30-05-2004 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Turas Teanga Books, Cds & DVD

Has anybody bought any of these?

I would love to improve my Irish - should I wait 4 the series to end to pick up a bargain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, I already speak Irish but they look quite cool if you're trying to brush up on your Irish. I don't know if they'll go down in price, though - they'll probably become the new standard book for people that want to improve their Irish.

I've spent quite a bit on books for learning languages down through the years but I find it's worth it as you use them over and over again, unlike a novel that might be cheap but that you might only read once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

I'm thinking of buying some soon but I'll have to wait to find out if they're any good or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I want to get them for my grandad, hope they arent too costasach.

Tá eolas ar an bpraghas ar shuíomh RTÉ //There's info on prices on RTÉ's site:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/turasteanga/book.html
    This complete package (book and three audio CDs) accompanies the television series and includes aural and written text to further enhance and improve your learning of Irish. It is available in all book stores nationwide at a RRP of €40.00. It is also available through Gill & Macmillan online for €32.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Ta siad agam, ach, em...ni usaidionn me iad ar chor ar bith.

Ta bron orm, ta me uafasach ar Gaeilge, agus nil aon fada ar mo keyboard nua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Am I right in thinking this is only for those who already know Irish? I saw the DVD in a store a while ago and was planning on buying it to learn Irish but I spotted the program while flicking through the TV channels and hadn't a clue what was going on.:(

Anyone know of anything similar for those who don't already have good Irish?

Over ten years of Irish in school and I still can't even understand the post above this one.:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Buntús Cainte are very good for beginners, but a little bit dated. you should be able to borrow them from your local Library.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Puck
    Am I right in thinking this is only for those who already know Irish? I saw the DVD in a store a while ago and was planning on buying it to learn Irish but I spotted the program while flicking through the TV channels and hadn't a clue what was going on.:(
    If this is the Sharon Ni Bheolan show, i saw it once or twice and thought it was reasonably basic but if you can't understand the post above yours you're probably better off with something else.

What was the name of that old course RTE had a few years ago? Cogar? That one was more into teaching from scratch if I remember rightly.

Might be worth checking out here (Irish-based bookshop run by Conradh na Gaeilge). No real online ordering but there's a real bookshop you can go to. They have the "Now You're Talking" series which is supposed to be pretty good).

And there's the Foras na Gaeilge site which must have some info.

I don't know if the above is of any real help but you could make a list of the stuff available and look it out in a local shop (or talk to some of the people selling it - the focus for some of these organisations is very much on spreading the language)

I still prefer Welsh. You get to spit at people for free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by sceptre
    If this is the Sharon Ni Bheolan show, i saw it once or twice and thought it was reasonably basic but if you can't understand the post above yours you're probably better off with something else.
    Unfortunately the time I saw it I could't make head nor tail of it. It was almost like they were speaking a completely new language to me.
    Might be worth checking out here (Irish-based bookshop run by Conradh na Gaeilge). No real online ordering but there's a real bookshop you can go to. They have the "Now You're Talking" series which is supposed to be pretty good).
    Yeah I remember that was easier to follow when it was on TV years ago. Wasn't it in a northern dialect though?
    I don't know if the above is of any real help but you could make a list of the stuff available and look it out in a local shop (or talk to some of the people selling it - the focus for some of these organisations is very much on spreading the language)

To be honest, half the time I think the exact opposite is true - that a lot of them appear to be Irish for people who already are quite good at it. I've seen sites advertising courses for complete beginners where the course information is written entirely in Irish with no translation. It can seem quite hard to break into at times.:dunno:

I'll look out for some good books. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It can depend what dialect you're used to as well. The "Now You're Talking" series was co-produced by the BBC as far as I remember, and has the Ulster dialect.

Uladh abú ;)

• Advertisement

There's info on different courses plus customer reviews here: http://www.edu-books.com/Learning_Irish_0300084161.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll find links to more books, dictionaries etc for learning Irish.

If your Irish from school is very rusty, i'd say it's better to start over again with a book for beginners - you'll be sure you haven't missed anything and you'll become confident when you realise you know some of the stuff already. I'm doing that with Spanish at moment (I'd done it for a few years in school) and it's great!

Oh yeah, and as for dialect, pick the one spoken closest to where you live or spoken by any Irish speakers you have contact with - if you learn to speak one dialect, all you have to do is understand the other ones.

Advertisement