Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aim/msn on mobile phones

Options
  • 30-05-2004 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭

I considered posting this in a more specific forum but for this time of night and the answer to this question may be known to more general users.

I was talking to a friend about msn/aim on a mobile phone, he is using 087 simcard and coiuld appear online and recieve and send messages. He couldn't remember how he set it up merely that it acted pretty much as a forwarding facility for his vodaphone email ( weird to me but :S )

Anyhow i have a 086 card and i'd like any info/sites/help on getting free/cheap as possible access to aim/msn on my phone. I'd be willing to change sim cards etc. I've got a nokia 3310(i think)i, you know the one with the colour screen etc

thanks

ronano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You'd need a phone with support for the messaging software. The 3310 doesn't do much beyond texting and talking.

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but at a guess I'd say it just uses GPRS (always on - charged by data transferred rather than time online) and appropriate software on the phone. Phones that can use custom software (such as those like the nokia 3650,ngage etc with the symbian operating system) are more likely to be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know that I can run ICQ on my UIQ phone... UIQ is an off-shoot of symbian.

But ICQ charge for the UIQ version of their software, so I haven't tried it out yet..

But I know that with ICQ, someone online with a computer can send a ICQ-SMS message to a phone.. I think it only works with O2 phones though... and you can reply to the ICQ-SMS and it appears on the persons computer...

does this make sence?

I'm sure MSN uses a simular system..

but I don't really use MSN myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

All new Pocket PC based PDA's come with the MSN Instant Messenger client. I would imagine the XDA II does too (can somebody confirm this?).

Therefore, all pocket PC based Windows smartphones, and I use the term loosely, should be able to use the IM client over GPRS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Be aware that MS will spam your phone if you use it to sign into MSN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement