Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brains to Burn text service is back!

Options
  • 29-05-2004 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I posted a while back about http://www.brainstoburn.com and I'm glad to say that it's back in service again so if you'd like give it a whirl, check out the site, store the number, and when you're out and about with your mobile phone, give it a whirl!

Also, I'm always on the lookout for volunteers to help with the answering of questions, so if you can help - check out the terms page on the site for further information.

Enjoy!

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tis all legit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

good idea Brains to Burn is an entirely FREE service ya right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by Kazu

Please explain Kazu? Other than you paying your mobile operator for sending a text message, there is no cost to you for the service.. Are you confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tis the price of a normal txt message which goes to your mobile operator and not to Brainstoburn.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Great to see ya got the site back online alleepally.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by byte
    Great to see ya got the site back online alleepally.

Thanks Byte! I appreciate that.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

its trail run isnt it after a while ye ll start chargeing

its trail run isnt it after a while ye ll start chargeing

It's not set in stone by any means re: it becoming a paid for service. There's a lot of things to be decided. If it can be supported via sponsors, I would like to keep it a free service. now, that's something refreshing in rip off Ireland isn't it?

But as stated on the website - it is entirely free right now also and I wouldn't be able to do it without the kind assistance of a great bunch of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Very good. However, I reckon if you manage to get sponsers, you'll have to give them our mobile numbers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

very good site, good idea behind it. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    Very good. However, I reckon if you manage to get sponsers, you'll have to give them our mobile numbers :(

No I won't. I have a few ideas in train

1. A weekly digest of the most interesting texts received and the answers given. This would go out by way of email, with a sponsorship element on the email

2. Rotating ads on the website.

3. A "buy a bunch of texts" button. i.e. allow people directly to support the service by buying say 100 texts at 50cent or something like that

There are other ideas I have and it may not work but I'm happy to give it a try anyway. But I have stated before and will state again - mobile numbers will absolutely not be used for anything other than answering the text and an occasional update on the service (per the terms page on the site)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Just go out on the beer, get drunk and into an arguement about anything you like.
    Now text ASK to the number and find a definitive answer to your question.What can be simpler?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally posted by alleepally
    No I won't. I have a few ideas in train

1. A weekly digest of the most interesting texts received and the answers given. This would go out by way of email, with a sponsorship element on the email

2. Rotating ads on the website.

3. A "buy a bunch of texts" button. i.e. allow people directly to support the service by buying say 100 texts at 50cent or something like that

There are other ideas I have and it may not work but I'm happy to give it a try anyway. But I have stated before and will state again - mobile numbers will absolutely not be used for anything other than answering the text and an occasional update on the service (per the terms page on the site)

Well I wish you the best with it

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    Well I wish you the best with it

Cheers Murderer, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I actually had this exact idea myself before. I may still go ahead with it. It would need some investment to work properly though (as in to make money off it and let the country know about the service) in the mean time though, my current project is www.poker.ie it's not ready yet, but when it is, hopefully it will succeed, it has great prospects, take a visit in about 2 weeks, should be ready:) But just saying that to let you know that there may be competition, not for a while though, so you don't have that long to excell.

Idea of sponsorship: (a) text sent back (b) sponsorship before answer (c) answer (d) footnote

(a)1 message received!
    (b)"www.poker.ie - log on now to blah blah blah"
    (c)three of a kind beats two pair
    (d)thank you for using brains to burn.

I have more of my own ideas for the service. Unfortunately, I cannot share them.

One thing I will say however, sponsorship wont work on your website. People will mainly be asking questions when they have no source to an answer. People will have a source if they have the resources to go to your site. Don't expect much traffic on a site for such a business. Kinda like a website like say, kellogs, or kelkin or something, who would actually go to their website? But their products are used all the time. So keep to text sponsoring.

Good idea! Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

great idea for a site, alleepally.
    i look forward to using it to resolve future drunken argument:)
    all the best with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Great service! Was sorry to see it go a few weeks ago, but it's great to have it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

tack sponsorship messages onto the end of texts allypally, easiest way to do it i'd say. and i doubt anyone would care :)

Originally posted by cormie
    I actually had this exact idea myself before. I may still go ahead with it. It would need some investment to work properly though (as in to make money off it and let the country know about the service) in the mean time though, my current project is www.poker.ie it's not ready yet, but when it is, hopefully it will succeed, it has great prospects, take a visit in about 2 weeks, should be ready:) But just saying that to let you know that there may be competition, not for a while though, so you don't have that long to excell.

Idea of sponsorship: (a) text sent back (b) sponsorship before answer (c) answer (d) footnote

(a)1 message received!
    (b)"www.poker.ie - log on now to blah blah blah"
    (c)three of a kind beats two pair
    (d)thank you for using brains to burn.

I have more of my own ideas for the service. Unfortunately, I cannot share them.

One thing I will say however, sponsorship wont work on your website. People will mainly be asking questions when they have no source to an answer. People will have a source if they have the resources to go to your site. Don't expect much traffic on a site for such a business. Kinda like a website like say, kellogs, or kelkin or something, who would actually go to their website? But their products are used all the time. So keep to text sponsoring.

Good idea! Good luck:)

I have a few more ideas too cormie which I can't discuss either but I agree with your assessment of the website sponsorship being difficult. I do have the forum up which is a draw and I'm also looking at other "stickie" ideas as well.

thanks

Al.

Originally posted by crash_000
    tack sponsorship messages onto the end of texts allypally, easiest way to do it i'd say. and i doubt anyone would care :)

I think you're right crash but I'll have to talk with the data commissioner again and see what I can and can't do. I discussed the service with them before and they said I don't have any data privacy regulation issues but with an advertising message maybe there will be

• Advertisement

Originally posted by plazz2000
    Great service! Was sorry to see it go a few weeks ago, but it's great to have it back!

Cheers plazz

Advertisement