Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deeper Walking

Options
  • 28-05-2004 1:20am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

Just the start of something I'm writing.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    ----

Deeper stood at the rim of the ancient crater, the distant cry of carrion-birds carried crisply through the dry, desert air, breaking the silence. A gentle breeze blew from behind him down into the sheer bowl, rippling the dust covered navy cloak he was swathed in and lifting small, swirling clouds of dust into the air, freeing them from the baked mesa for a few brief moments of freedom, before cruelly abandoning them back to gravity.
    His dark eyes followed the path of the zephyr down the slope to the centre, narrowing briefly there.
    He jumped from the precipice and began to slide down into the crater at a steady pace. Frenetic insects scrabbled from his path as he drew towards them at a modest acceleration, leaving a powdery cloud hanging in the arid air momentarily in his wake.

It’s here.

If anyone had been watching him they would have noticed a slight furrowing of his brow then, as he slid towards ground zero. A small lake might have been here many thousands of years ago, but if so, it had long since dried up. Either way, the surface of the crater base was remarkably smooth, few boulders broke the perfection, and those that did had only been recently dislodged by Deeper as he made his crude and noisy path downwards.
    It took him a good ten minutes to reach the base, but it would have taken over and hour to pick his way down carefully, travelling via more solid and less inclined areas.
    He could no longer hear the distant birds; the crater walls shielded him from the sounds of the outside world.

I can feel it, it’s definitely here.

When he slid to a halt at the edge of the smooth hemisphere, Deeper circled its rough perimeter, apparently surveying the peculiar consistency. After traversing several feet, he halted his inspection abruptly, seemingly transfixed by some aspect of the surface. He scrutinized it for several moments before unhurriedly traipsing over.
    He felt the dull, almost imperceptible tremor the moment he stepped onto the crater’s saucer-shaped floor. After deciding that this was a permanent force, he turned to examine the footprints he had made in the sandy surface moments before. As he watched, he noticed the miniature craters become shallower, virtually imperceptibly, but definitely smoothing out. There was no wind. The tremors were quietly and constantly levelling the ground.

Do you need any more proof?

Bloody machine, thought Deeper, irritated.
    ‘No,’ he said quietly, ‘that will be sufficient.’
    He knelt down and placed a small, solid, silvery tube into the ground at his feet. A depression appeared in the ground beneath the device momentarily, before a small tunnel presented itself, snaking down into the subterranean darkness.
    Deeper tapped the silver tube with his foot firmly, and the tunnel began to glow dimly. He dropped down.

----

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I am intrigued...post more if you will...it is a good read so far ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ah, my method of writing is somewhat haphazard; I'm constantly changing the rest of what I have written :) .

I will though, whenever the storyline stabilises in my head (could be a long time).

Got plenty of other pieces and the odd bit of (terrible) poetry that I hope to post though.

Advertisement