Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thekompany.com get hacked????

Options
  • 27-05-2004 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Got this in the email
    Unfortunately we\'ve had a hard drive problem on our main server, some files were wiped out from bad sectors. We\'ve recovered the system, but one of the bad sectors was this mail list, there is no one on it anymore. To sign back up to the mail list go to:

http://www.thekompany.com/products/cart/download.php3

and login and select the appropriate option to join the mail list. We\'re very sorry for the inconvenience, you might possibly get this message mutliple times as well.

Best Regards,

Shawn Gordon

President

theKompany.com

The ".php3" looks a bit off, and if the mailing list was destroyed then how did they manage to email me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PHP3 is a standard (albeit deprecated) file extension for the PHP scripting language. It is odd that they'd mail you when "there's no-one on it any more" though. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Being a commercial company I'd imagine that they have some form of data backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

maybe they have your email address from a past order but dont know if your on the mailing list, so they sent out one spam fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Quite possibly they lost the mailing list but still have their email addresses from transactional information. Given that users must sign up to recieve mail from businesses under Irish law (and I assume international at this stage) they probably need anyone that was part of the mailing list to sign up again.

Advertisement