Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - A Rant

Options
  • 27-05-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

<RANT>

I HATE AN POST! I HATE THEM SO FÉCKING MUCH!

THEIR SOLE PURPOSE IS TO DELIVER POST AND THEY CAN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT! FÉCKING ASSES!

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO WAIT TWO FÉCKING WEEKS FOR A FIRST CLASS LETTER FROM BELFAST? IT SHOULD TAKE TWO DAYS! TWO FÉCKING DAYS!

FÉCKING STUPID PRICKS!

SO I RING THEIR CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND GET 'THERE IS NO DELAY ON OUR SIDE BUD, THERE MUST BE A BACKLOG SOMEWHERE ELSE BUD!'

FIRSTLY I'M NOT YOUR BUD, SECONDLY I KNOW THERE IS A BACKLOG ON YOUR SIDE BECAUSE I AM NOT GETTING ANYTHING IN THE POST AT ALL, NO ORDERS FROM PLAY.COM, NO ORDERS AT ALL FROM ENGLAND, NO LOCAL/REGIONAL MAIL, NOTHING!

SORT IT OUT YOU ****ING LAZY FÉCKS!

</RANT>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But hey, the logo is still pretty cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Kone
    <RANT>

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO WAIT TWO FÉCKING WEEKS FOR A FIRST CLASS LETTER FROM BELFAST? IT SHOULD TAKE TWO DAYS! TWO FÉCKING DAYS!

</RANT>

It's probably been stolen - especially if you had a cheque or PO in there

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

created a thread earlier today before reading this rant and i reckon An Post are indeed responsible for the sluggish delivery times for orders from online dvd websites.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163633

:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Last year I had to have some very important documents sent priority registered post from Dublin to Ennis. It was supposed to take 24 hours. 24 hours later it didn't arrive. I had the tracking number and according to the online system it had been delivered. I called serveral different An Post numbers, eventually getting to talk to someone at the Ennis main post office. It turned out they use a third party for deliveries and he forgot to deliver it, left it in his van all night but told the post office it was delivered. It eventually turned up the next day.

I moved back to the USA in January after doing 6 months in Ireland. Before I left I setup a mail forwarding whereby any post sent to my old address in Ireland with my name or my wifes name would be forwarded to us in the US. I paid for this service as well. Couple of weeks back I started getting post for the current resident of the house that we had we rented, totally different name. I had to mail them back to the resident and pay for it myself. I called the post office and the response I got was "sorry about that, sure its no big deal, I'll have a chat with the post man who delivers there".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If I start to rant, I won't stop, so I'll just stay stump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I had my credit card delivered by an post one time, although I think the post man was in a bit of a hurry and just threw the letter into the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's possibly not An Post's fault. When I lived in Belfast i'd always be careful to put TWO first class stamps on letters I was sending down south. On the first occasion I put ONE first class stamp on it, the letter didn't show up for three weeks, and had a huge blue sticker on the front saying that there hadn't been adequate postage on the letter, and it had therefore been routed on the slowest (and cheapest) route - presumably sent by sea to England, and then carrier pigeon to Dublin, and then a snail delivered it to the door of the recipient :)

Even sending a letter to the UK from Ireland the same thing happens. I usually put three 42c stamps on letters. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

In Sligo the post is perfect, everything gets through - and on time !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One time I had a bunch of parcels arriving, all sent from different locations across the world and posted on different dates. They were all very late, despite one being just sent from Dublin. Oddly enough they all arrived on the exact same day. Odder still is the fact the postman delivered them in his own car. Methinks the lazy over-payed worker just kept them all in his home until it was convenient for him to haul his lard-bloated posterior in the direction of my abode. Let's give them all a pay rise. Oh wait, we already have....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I had my credit card delivered by an post one time, although I think the post man was in a bit of a hurry and just threw the letter into the garden.

I noticed that before when passing my neighbours house. A letter was lying in their front garden soaked through with rain, had to do the postman's job and put it in their letter box for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by eth0_
    It's possibly not An Post's fault. When I lived in Belfast i'd always be careful to put TWO first class stamps on letters I was sending down south. On the first occasion I put ONE first class stamp on it, the letter didn't show up for three weeks, and had a huge blue sticker on the front saying that there hadn't been adequate postage on the letter, and it had therefore been routed on the slowest (and cheapest) route - presumably sent by sea to England, and then carrier pigeon to Dublin, and then a snail delivered it to the door of the recipient :)

Even sending a letter to the UK from Ireland the same thing happens. I usually put three 42c stamps on letters. :-/

The problem isn't with the stamps, I regularly get mail from my contacts in Belfast, there is nothing of value (except personal value) in the letters, my contacts always use the same amount of stamps and I have never had an issue in the past (well except when our postal boys decided to go on strike!) but over the last month things have gotten really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Don't get me started!
    I ordered a usb blue tooth device from england. It got to an post. But they couldn't find my office on Baggot street!!!!
    I was on contract to O2 - its a bloody massive office!
    They are the biggest pack of fuppen grassholes, I mean...come on - they deliver loads of bloody mail everyday to that office.
    Shower of fuppen muppets - it's a shame e-mail didn't put them completly out of buisness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The number on my house is 39, the number on my neighbour's house is 39A. They almost always manage to deliver the letters to the wrong house despite the correct number being on the letter and the doors being clearly labelled. I mean ffs a 3 year old could get that right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

An Post = Another Name for a Pack Of Shaggin Tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

I've no problems with An Post, never have (except for strikes and the likes).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The problem isn't with the stamps, I regularly get mail from my contacts in Belfast, there is nothing of value (except personal value) in the letters, my contacts always use the same amount of stamps and I have never had an issue in the past (well except when our postal boys decided to go on strike!) but over the last month things have gotten really bad.

No my point was 1 first class stamp is NOT enough to send a letter to Ireland from the UK. I've had people put 2nd class stamps on a letter before and it took well over a month to get to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why not just put one 60c on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

No my point was 1 first class stamp is NOT enough to send a letter to Ireland from the UK. I've had people put 2nd class stamps on a letter before and it took well over a month to get to me!

Maybe we are talking cross purposes here but

my point was that if I post a letter from Belfast with X amount of stamps on 1/1/2004, it arrives in two days, on 1/3/2004 it arrives in two days, 1/5/2004 it take two weeks, on 11/05/04 it take two weeks, Same amount of stamps, Same Envelope, Similar contents, 12 days in the difference! and they are telling me there is no problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Victor
    Why not just put one 60c on?

I hear they're putting up the prices again...

Try dealing with them everyday of your working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

do you realise how much sh!t election publicity is going throu the system atm!

wher i'm working atm there has been 5 lot of politian posting out a small flyer to the entire electoral role. with more to come. and you cant deliver two politians in the same day. so think thats every house on a route of say 700 house getting little sh!tty cards that will end up in the fire/bin. that makes you day a bit long! also there's other politians flyers and shop and sales flyers. on top of the actual post.

trust me unless you've worked as a postman you will never understand.

also afaik there is some disputes going on in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

AN Post are not the only ones. Got a computer once delivered from Gateway and the couriers left it in the car as the whole house was away. They left in the car which was open and parked outside a empty house.

We were we lucky nobody walked off with it.That was then this is now. Not sure it would be safe now.

Oh how the times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Heh. An Post closed the sorting office in Letterkenny, so now all post in Donegal gets routed to Sligo first, and then back again. Even sending post to the guy next door takes 3 days. And the worst thing is that doing so probably doesn't save them a penny.

The post from the North to the South is appalling, and its the Royal Mails fault, not An Post's. Royal Mail suck, I send a parcel by Surface Mail, Belfast to Dublin and it took 64 days to arrive. That's right. 64 days. I posted it on October 15th and it arrived in Dublin on December 18th.

"International Priority" (50p a letter) and "Special Delivery" are the only fast way to get post from the UK to Ireland. On the otherhand, post from the South to the North gets lumped into vans and delivered by An Post to sorting offices in Belfast (or thats the way it used to be 2 years ago, might have changed since), which is a much better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Civilian_Target, if you work in the GPO in Dublin and want your payslip in work they get printed in the GPO then sent to DMC (Dublin Mail Centre) then back to the GPO.

I agree that the post isn't as good as it should be. I believe the company can make a lot of changes to improve it's service.

But with any monopolising company there are arrogant members of the board who are only interested in making money, that sometimes comes at a cost to the regular customer.

The sooner Irish companies wake up and realise this the better.

Advertisement