Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a Cisco CCNA tomorrow - couple of questions

Options
  • 27-05-2004 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, im taking a CCNA exam tomorrow, and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, im studying this course on my own, for about 7weeks now, using the CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle, with Sybex CCNA Gold simulator software.

The sim software does not support EIGRP or OSPF which is probably why Im asking the first Q:

1- EIGRP is a classless routing protocol right? Yet, nowhere in the chapter is this facility used - i.e. it sticks to classful network addresses, e.g. 10.0.0.0 , 192.168.20.0 etc. Does anyone know if knowing how to use it for classless routing is necessary for CCNA and if so, how to do so? Is it simply using wildcard masks? e.g. 172.16.0.0 0.0.0.255 for a 172.16.0.0/24 mask?

2 - Is the 2950 Switch covered in the exam? Because, though there is info on it in the book, the software only has 2 1900Switches.

3- Access lists: with extended IP access lists, there is an implicit deny at the end of every one created - necessitating the entry of an explicit "permit any" at the end of each list. There is no mention of this being the case for Standard access-lists, does it only apply to extended access lists??

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Also, do I really need to know the breakdown of different segment/frame/header types? i.e. TCP, UDP, IP etc??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

you will be asked simple enough sim questions like add a missing network or set up a RIP network path and my fav a subnet question!:)

do a kazza search for some correctexams.com solutions and just study them if u do that you will be fine although i did it lsat year and i believe the course has changed slightly so i may be wrong

but do the kazza search for them solutions!!

Watch your time that is the most important thing in an exam like that

Thanks,

Subnetting, im reasonably ok with... I think! The book has some nice tricks for doing it in your head.

Add a RIP Network Path - grand.

"Add a missing network..." - You couldnt eleborate a little on that could you?

Will check KaZaa now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Im doing CCNA in the next couple of months, let us know how you got on.

Thanks joePC

Just looking on cisco.com and found the following:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/simulation/demo_sim.html

I assume thats used purely for the simulation and that the exam is a lot harder than that?? Or that that sort of stuff is only a small part of the exam yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    Just looking on cisco.com and found the following:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/simulation/demo_sim.html

I assume thats used purely for the simulation and that the exam is a lot harder than that?? Or that that sort of stuff is only a small part of the exam yeah?
    Dammit - I can't even get into global mode in that - I'm used to just typing "conf t" in work:(

you will be required to figure out and troubleshoot a configuration basiclly it will be missing a network path ot will have the wrong addresses assigned something simple enough like that

the cisco simulators usualy only let ya to enter in the full name ie. conf becomes configuration etc...

Just found theres a sample exam on one of the CDs with the book. At least I think its based on the real thing, since ive no idea what the real thing is really like! But I think it only had like 2 fix-this/enter commands to do this, type questions??

Anyway, I got 806/1000 , and it would have been I think 850+ if I hadnt misread one little IP address and fcuked up a fix-it simulation question.
    Says pass mark is 849, i.e. 85% but im fairly sure I was told by Ashfield that its been dropped to 80%.

Ah well,... have some more time to study in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Faltermyer: How did the exam go?

Thanks JoePC

Sorry, got 80%!!

Its still 85% to pass though.

Couldnt fig one of the Sim questions and spent way too long trying to, to the point that I think I did the last 10 questions in about 6mins!! And consequently, probably got one or two wrong that I shouldnt have

Am repeating in the morning and my credit card is another €146.41 in the red! :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jank

Watch your time that is the most important thing in an exam like that

dont say i didnt warn you
    Well at least you know what to do now to pass, You should do it this time

By the way are u a student or are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Originally posted by jank
    do a kazza search for some correctexams.com solutions and just study them if u do that you will be fine although i did it lsat year and i believe the course has changed slightly so i may be wrong

It did change recently. The CCNA was split into two. You can still take the one exam, or you can opt to take CCNA-Intro (which covers the general stuff) and CCNA-ICND (which covers the Cisco specific stuff). I'm opting to take the two seperate exams, it allows you to concentrate more on a smaller amount of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

How different is the CCNA exam from the 70-216 Microsoft Networking exam?

I'd be interested in doing the CCNA if it wasn't too much different from the 70-216 exam.

Advertisement