Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you learn THAT!

Options
  • 27-05-2004 6:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

picked this idea up from tv board (on the PROTECT YOUR KIDS topic)

where did you learn all those nasty swear words you use?

i picked it up within a week of 2nd class, except because there were no black kids living in thurles when i was a kid we all thought n*gger was another word for knacker, wasnt corrected on that until 2 years later (thank god i didnt go to america)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I managed to avoid swearing up till 5th class. Amazing, eh?

Then it all sort of came out.

I think I picked most of mine up from reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

haha! Look! Son of a bitch is in the dictionary. Isn't that hilarious!

And look, so it sex! And bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

family, school, reading, tv and friends.

recent additions to my repertoire, such as 'fuckercunt' and 'mong' have been gleamed from the festering cesspool that is IRC:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

When my brother was younger he was out with mum when he spotted a black kid with his mother.
    "NIG-NOG, NIG-NOG, NIG-NOG" he shouted (being 5)
    Nobody has any idea where he picked it up. Must have got it from school.

My poor auld mum nearly collapsed with the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got most of mine from school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cousins and childhood friends mainly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

friends mostly. tho 'pleb' 'mong' have come from boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Aunts and uncles. They all curse like bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    'pleb'
    :)
    heh, stfu you facking nonce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

school and while playing when i was a wee lad.

i blame society for my problems :mad:
    damn society

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I learnt them mostly from school. However, I still today rarely use "swears" in everyday speech because I find them uncouth. Then, if I do use them, they have some significance rather than the manner in which they're found in plebeian speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Indeed. I've always thought that if you have to resort to the sort of language that gets replaced with ***'s in order to insult someone or display your state of mind, you're just not trying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by ixoy
    I learnt them mostly from school. However, I still today rarely use "swears" in everyday speech because I find them uncouth. Then, if I do use them, they have some significance rather than the manner in which they're found in plebeian speech.

Do you wear a smoking jacket, and peer down your equine nose at the lower people?

I was born with the ability to swear I reckon. There's nothing like a well placed fúck as far as I'm concerned. Never mind "uncouth". Swear freely I say. Except in profesional situations and around Parents in law. Oh and children, although they probably know more than you anyway, it's best not to encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The first swear word I ever learned was off the internet* and have only started cursing since I started reading message boards like this one :)

*not necessarily true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

rebellious older sister, parents and school.
    apparantly now i "have a mouth like a sailor" ! admittedly i do use "fúck" a LOT, pretty much in every sentence. :rolleyes: :dunno:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Sarky
    Indeed. I've always thought that if you have to resort to the sort of language that gets replaced with ***'s in order to insult someone or display your state of mind, you're just not trying...
    Darn tootin' but you're right there! I have to hone my abilities to bitch better though, to get my insults more cutting. Some of the guys I've witnessed are really quite talented at it, without ever resorting to using "swears". They have a name for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No point in swearing unless you rarly do it. Otherwise it loses its main edge with the person who says it.

Best to make up some weird comment thingy. I rembmer in 2nd class someone used to say something along the lines of

Shut up you reinforced pakistani wheel chair racer.

Was it racism ? Was it stupidity ? Was he making comments about the disabled? Who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

I introduced my school to asshole, dickhead and ****head in 1st class. God bless american movies and parents that didn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Dictionary.... ban that book! BAN ALL BOOKS! it's evil!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

school and father....
    he swear's in a wonderfull northern accent.... like sandpaper to oak....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    friends mostly. tho 'pleb' 'mong' have come from boards.
    The hell do they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pleb is from the Latin for a "commoner" http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pleb

mong may short for mongrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

what it's short for is nowhere near what it means...

short for:

Mon·gol·oid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mngg-loid, mn-)
    adj.
    Anthropology. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central and eastern Asia. Not in scientific use. See Usage Note at race1.
    Characteristic of or resembling a Mongol.
    also mongoloid Offensive. Of or relating to Down syndrome.

as for pleb...that's hardly offensive...certainly not a 'naughty word'

[some of you may now add boards.ie ... ;) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Derek and Clive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Daddy. An Irishman living in London. When you guys leave Ireland you do indeed become stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pleb is short for Plebian. A Victorian insult if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

most of you seem to have learned from either school friends or family...kinda puts the TV swearing argument out the window doesnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

School of course. Everything negative about your demeanour you pick up you learn in school. Same goes for racism.

I was recently looking at these storybook magazines I used to have as a as called 'Story Teller' and was amazed to see how many non-white characters there were in the illustrated stories. Amazed I mean because it made me realise when I was a pre-school kid there at least was a time didn't even realise there was a difference between black/white/asian/whatever people and that all the stereotypical/racist bull**** we have as an Irish society have we learnt first from the schoolyard.

Advertisement