Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Annihilation

Options
  • 26-05-2004 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does any one play this any more?

Have been playing it for years and still keep going back to it. must have it finished a dozen times by now. Very good with 6 human players. very enoying large scale battles.

Does anyone have Total Annihilation - The Core Contingency up for download or if they just might happen to be going to Galway lan X.
    Have always wanted this add on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Played it for a whole 2 weekends at LANs at a friends house, just the 3 of us playign it till stupid o'clock (a few hours after sunrise basically). Was excellent fun I have to say, but we got bored of it after we started wiping out base's with just the tail lasers on the bombers :)

(note however we did use a few hundred such bombers)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ah but ye solve that with several thousand flack cannon's + hawk's, and archer ships off yer coastline if ye have a water map if i recall they are the best anti-air unit/building in the game........

Several hundred hawk's patrolling your coastline would be faster to build so u would have about 2x as much so should annihlate those pheonix's...

....Always another option with TA, why i loved the game so much....

And i play occcasionally against me lil bro but its hard to get anyone to play it ne more(usually cause they lose pittyfully ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bleh3000

Not sure if you knew about this or not, but thought that you all might be interested nonetheless. Chris Taylor (the lead designer of TA) 'confirm(ed) that Gas Powered Games was working on "an RTS follow-up to Total Annihilation." ' (got it from here ). Although, as the article says, if its a direct sequel or a TA:K like game (/me shudders), no one knows (although people in the community are thinking it'll be more of a "spiritual successor"). Still, sounds exciting.

Oh, and if you have UT 2004, a mod called unreal annihilation is being made, should be around TAuniverse somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭vega_AH64

Yeah heard their might be a TA the second. But it will never beat the first. But would still be very intersting to play.
    It better not be a TA K the second or all will be lost forever.

Originally posted by vega_AH64
    It better not be a TA K the second or all will be lost forever.

so true, what a let down, if they just gave me the exact same game as the first TA with some updated gfx i'd have been happy out to pay for it/play it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I've just re-installed it after about a year, but can't get it working with win2k sp4, it's complaining about directx. I'd really love to jump back in and play some missions, best rts ever. Any suggestions, aside from dual booting 98?

We never had any problems scrapping in it with winXP, Id say get the latest DirectX, and unless its crashing out on you, just ignore the whining about DirectX.

Hmmm, I'm up to date with directx, and the game crashes out with an error message...

Care to post up that error message? might help.

Have you got latest version of TA aswell?

I'll post it when I get back home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Core Contingency Rocks!!!! Used to play it all the time 1-on-1 with someone but then we eventually got bored of him flattening me in it. I play way too much AOM now.

Did anyone hear any more about that UT:TA mod???

I've checked out the errors I'm getting with win2k, it's saying that my currently installed version of directx (9.0b) my not function properly with TA. Tell me about it...

The game actually plays, but the sound isn't working propery. I think I can live with that, the game is just soooo good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i jsut got this ordered from ebay on the MAC,
    i cant wait until it gets delivered, i used to love it on pc
    this one has core contingency, and battle tactics, which i have never played.
    i do need a mouse though...that touch pad thing would drive anyone to distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I know this is not the correct forum for this but I have the full PC version ot T.A., all the expansion packs and the strategy guide. I am looking to offload them so I can get my life back :-)

Any offers?

Originally posted by davil
    I play way too much AOM now.
    If you have not yet experianced it, get into AoE2:conquerer's, 10 times the game AoM is IMO, recently played AoM again, not as bad as I remember, still not a shade on AoC though, if you havent experianced it properly yet on-line you have so much to look forward to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I'll check it out. Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Played it for a whole 2 weekends at LANs at a friends house, just the 3 of us playign it till stupid o'clock (a few hours after sunrise basically). Was excellent fun I have to say, but we got bored of it after we started wiping out base's with just the tail lasers on the bombers :)

(note however we did use a few hundred such bombers)

That reminds me of a mate who had a virtually unbeatable multi nuke build strategy which made him unbeatable.My multi Krogoth strategy could get him only when other players distracted him.He once wiped my base out witth 70 TORPEDO bombers by force aiming!!

Loved the huge scale of it, the campaign-like attacks to secure areas are great.Am mainly a Starcraft player.

Also got TA:K. Played one multiplayer game which lasted 4 hours,After fighting over a bridge for 2 hours I came to the conclusion that this game was S**T!

Yea I had a crack at TA:K myself, utter tripe really, a good defence is utterly unattackable really, even with the gold dragon things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by davil
    I'll check it out. Thanks

and after uve finnished that try rise of nations (practically an Age Of Empires game)

is there anywhere left to play this online still? i haven't managed to have a muliplayer game in years and would luv a game.............

• Advertisement

Rise of Nations is absolutely nothing like AoE :)
    A lot of people love it to bits, I thought it was pap though, battles were too unorganised, troops just buggered off to do their own thing, advancing system in it was nice though, and resource system was quite nice too (albiet i still prefare the old AoE/C&C etc style resource's).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

love TA its a great game myself and my mate play online thru windows messenger , very handy to play an on line game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boredom

Triceradon wrote:
    is there anywhere left to play this online still? i haven't managed to have a muliplayer game in years and would luv a game.............

you could try the (fairly) active TA communities and ask for a game in the forums and chat rooms, although they're probably a very tight knit bunch at this stage! And the majority of them are probably more concerned with modding the game, so you'd have to download all the mods as well.

Advertisement