Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Language to Choose

Options
  • 26-05-2004 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Just been handed some details of a project i ll be working on in the next few months. I have to build a script editor and compiler to test scripts for our phone system before they are put into production. I have never done anything like this before and am just wondering if anyone have done something similiar what language did you use .. With the amount of Error Handling and Error Detection needed i would be leaning towards C or C++ . Any other ideas would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

1) You're doing low-level systems programming. C and C++ are very strong in that area.
    2) You're doing lots of error-handling and error-detection. C++'s in-built exception handling makes it ideal for such purposes.

I'd go for C++ myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Second that. Also Microsoft DevStudio C++ can build some nice easy to use GUI's without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sounds like it could be done in pretty much anything.

I say go with what language you know best and will perform best against the system.

I personally would recommend Eclipse Framework. The IDE can be coded with your plugin and takes away a lot of the hassle stuff you don't need to worry about.

Also if you are looking for solutions instead of a product to ship then look at Ant. It may be that a scripting framework might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

For the compiler end of things I'd suggest that you use a lexer and parser generator to handle the nitty-gritty of the parsing of the scripts. Don't be tempted to do it by hand. Trust me, it's not worth the hassle.

There are lexer and parser generators for nearly every language I can think of. For example, for C/C++ you can use Flex (or lex) and Bison (or yacc) and for Java you can use JFlex and CUP. Google should find you links for them all.

How complex are the scripts for the phones? Are you inventing your own mini-language for the scripts or by scripts do you mean a language that the phone system already understands?

As for which language to write the program in: pick the one you know best. Any project of a decent size will cause you to run into the limitations of whatever language you use. It makes it much easier when you understand the language well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Scripts for the phones are not very complex but as more services are coming along they are getting quite large now. The Scripts i ll be testing will be scripts the phone system already understands . Its so we can test new scripts and validate that everything is ok before taking down production and updating the scripts...

Thanks Lads for your suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement