Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Cooler. To Shim, or not to Shim...

Options
  • 26-05-2004 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

For all you Arctic VGA Silencer owners out there...

I fitted mine a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it, but rooting through a box of spare parts last night I found the original heatsink/fan from the 9800Pro and was reminded of a thought I had when originally fitting the cooler.

Now, if you've removed one of these you'll have noticed the slight bulge on the base of the HS where it meets the core, whereas the Arctic Cooler is flat. I know the core and top of the shim LOOK level, but if they are, why did Sapphire/ATi have a bulge at the base of their HS/F? Would there be better contact, and hence better heat transfer, if the shim was removed?

I know at the time I fitted itI thought it looked prety solid, so I wasn;t inclined to take it off, plus I was afraid I might crush the core if I did. So, who has removed it? :)

Actually, here's a pic of the base of the HS/F courtesy of Sir Random.
    100404_03d.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I just installed one the other day. I like you didn't take the shim off. The shim looks to be fixed fairly solid and distroying the core on a €200+ card is not an option for me. On the saphire card the shim and core do appear to be level although the old heat sink has the bulge. I just put a thin layer of termal paste on the heatsink as well as the core. Mine seems ok but I've still to put a heat probe near the core to get some temp readings. I'll let you know the temp readings I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

k.
    My temps look fine actually, about 50 under load (have a probe wedged under the HS, beside the core), was just wondering if anyone dropped the shim and got a boost.

Always looking for an edge.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

You can remove the shim if you like but even if you do, it doesnt gurantee any change in temperature or speed. Also, I've heard many storys of ppl fuking their card up when attempting the shim. "If it aint broken, dont fix it" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Think I'll take the cooler off and see if there if the shim is actually higher than the GPU.

Will report back later...

Advertisement