Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hours pubs

Options
  • 26-05-2004 2:55am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

theres 24 hour pubs in paris,possibly other countries but i dont know,would they be viable in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Financially or socially?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I don't think they'd be viable. Just look at the state most people get themselves into in pubs/clubs as it is.
    Imagine if they could keep getting served?
    I guess you could also offer stomach pumping (to cover some costs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I would love the idia myself but i cant see it happening.

Best bet is to go to a pub with a late bar then wait around in down for 2/3 hours for a pub with a early bar to open (around 6/7am i think) then contuine drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Most of the bars here in Brussels open until 6-7am, and then some coffee shops/ restaurants open and they all serve beer. But not many people get plastered beyond ability to be polite - there isn;t the same rush-drinking culture as in Ireland. Drinking in Dublin, I always fall prey to the "only X time before closing" sydrome.

I think while an extended licence would work in Dublin/Ireland would work, possibly after a brief period of adjustment when people realise that they cannot sustain rush-drinking for that amount of time, 24 hour pubs might not be all that viable. After all, one owuld need to cose for a few hours clean up in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Reason most peole get really drunk is cos of clsoing times. If there was none you wouldnt buy 7 pints at 11.59 etc:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not the fact that people drink lots in the last half hour - it's the fact everyone is turfed out onto the streets, all together, that causes so much of the social problems relating to drink. 24 hour opening is to be recommended purely on the basis that it will stagger out the flow of people exiting clubs. On the negative side, to offset the cost we could expect clubs to increase entrance fees and pay even more for our drinks - as if the 15c increase on a pint, announced today, was not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Reason most peole get really drunk is cos of clsoing times. If there was none you wouldnt buy 7 pints at 11.59 etc:

kdjac
    The man speaks the truth, there are a few 24 hour pubs in glasgow and a few late night closing ones in manchester.... I think they stay open till 5 am. People don't drink as fast hence not getting so wasted.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Over here (Austria) it is possible to drink 24hrs. Pubs/Clubs/Cafes/Restaurants can open whatever hours they wish except for between 4 and 6am where only clubs and some bars (it's probably a bar operating on a club type licence) are allowed open. I think they must close at least for one hour per day for cleaning. In practice they're generally open at weekends from 9pm until 11am.

As was said everyone is not turfed out on the street at once and taxis are easier to obtain. Most people don't get out of control drunk and drinking is done at a far more leisurely pace.

While the bars can open 22 hours a day if they want, none do. They open usually around 3-8pm depending on the day and the time of year. You can be sure they won't be open if there's no chance of them making money.

Cafes take all the earlier trade so there is no need for them to be open earlier (sports bars are the only exception I can think of and that's only when something is on).

In ireland to have such a set-up I think full-deregulation of the licencing system is needed. Then once premises meet the restrictions laid down for serving alcohol they should be allowed to do serve said alcohol with limited restrictions on when or for how long they can open. Some people will go mad for a while on such a system but they'd have to adapt or else they'll be dead. All in all though it'd give people more choice, put more responsibility on themselves and make it easier to go for a drink when they want and not when the government think they should, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

24 hour pubs would not mean that people can drink for 24 hours all the time. The price of drink and the amount of pennies in my pocket are what deceide the amount of time I can stay in a pub. People would go nuts for a week or two but it would settle down pretty quickly.

The same thing happened when pubs got late closing and now its just the accepted norm. Just because you can drink for 24/7 dosent mean you have to or can afford to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

I'm fed up of being told what I can and can't do in this country. Look at our European neighbours - are their societies falling apart due to 24 hour availability of alcohol??

As pointed out here already, fixed closing hours do more harm than good and encourage people to drink more and to drink faster. Forcing large numbers of drunk people onto the streets at the same time is a recipe for disaster - any moron can see that.

I think the novelty of adopting European style regulations here would wear off pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ellesmere

While it is approaching E750,000 for a luxury zanussi box in the city centre. I think we have to take in the NIMBY factor. There has been a recolinisation of the city in recent years and people there are protecting their investments from any perceived source of devaluation. Soon there won't be any nightclubs in Dublin nevermind 24hr pubs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

which is why this city sucks. we create a problem by having these ludicrous closing times and then blame the fact that "everywhere is open so late" for the mess that ensues in the city centre. what a joke! what'll Mick MacDowell try next - prohibition?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

smoking from pubs has already been banned,why not ban drinking;p

**Note : If you are someone important reading this and you decide to ban drinking i will hunt you down and kill your dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

in sydeny there were a good few 24hr pubs and while there was some trouble it was no more than the usual that you get here. and i definately agree that people drink slower because they know the bar wont be stopping at a certain time.

i think it could be possible here but only if they monitor the alcohol prices!!! i mean if it goes up 50c after 11pm what'd it be like after 2am/6am etc??

macdowell needs to pull his head out of his arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I drink in a 24 hour pub at least once a fortnight here in South Dublin. It has a hotel licence but I wouldn't exactly call it a hotel.

Advertisement