Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping the dust monster at bay?

Options
  • 25-05-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

I'm sure plenty of you have your own little tricks and techniques for this -- what are they? Can you keep the dust out of your case completely?

Best cheapo method I've found has been tights and an elastic band, works a treat. One step better for an 80mm fan is when women go into shoe shops to try on shoes they give them these kind of sock sized tights -- perfect fit after a snip of the scissors. Bear in mind I'm not talking about going off to x, y or z computer shop to purchase the filters, rather making it yourself with anything handy around the house. So with that in mind, what have you tried, what's good, what's bad?

Conclusion on the tights is -- too much effort when it comes to cleaning it so I ordered some filters from hitide :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

howya tact sorry to hear about your incident after the beers

i reckon my house has more dust then the average house for some reason the pc gets pretty bad, the front of the case has a built in filter which i cleaned recently. anywho i didn't bother with any of those home made methods and got a air cleaner from pc world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

them these kind of sock sized tights

I think 'pop socks' is what the female of the species refer to them as.

Perhaps if you fit them to a small frame before fitting them to the fan you could just remove, clean under the tap and leave to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I got a few 80mm filters that I put on my intake fans. The thing is, dust will be sucked in through all sorts of orifices if the internal pressure is low from having more sucking out than sucking in... *considering rephrasing that sentense... nahh..* :D

Anyhoo, I can almost see the dust build up on the side intake grille, and I had to take a cotton bud and hoover to my Zalman 7000 the other week, even though it was only about 2 months in action. Dust was gathering between the fins. I'm hoping the filters will make a difference. I guess you could stick a whole nylon stocking around the entire case.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

My house has a lot of dust and I end up cleaning my pc on a weekly basis. The fan entakes have their covers but still the dust are creeping in on other place. Only way I can stop it is like what Adeptus said, wraping the whole pc with nylon stockings, which sounds like a pretty idea :D

Advertisement