Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasabe

Options
  • 24-05-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

What about wasabe? Is it a mustard? It's Horseradish but... is it mustard....?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Gordon
    What about wasabe? Is it a mustard? It's Horseradish but... is it mustard....?

wake up Gordie, you've answered your own question!
    if it's Horseradish
    then it's not mustard!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, my housemate assures me that it's "japanese mustard", but it appears to be made from horseradish. I love horseradish though, it used to be grown at home in the garden when I was growing up and we'd go out and get it fresh and slice it up to put on our sandwiches with our mustard and other tasty bits of ham and salad.

You can see from http://greatfoodz.zoovy.com/category/6/ that they appear to be grouped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have yet to try some.

SyxPak, they'd typically serve you some wasabi with sushi at any sushi bar if that takes your fancy.

Hmmm.....I must dine out some evening.....must find me a bit of squeeze before then too.

The hunt is on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

syxpak
    for a quick taste of sushi + the aforementioned sause, go to Marks and Sparks food dept, right beside where they sell the sandwiches you will also find ready made sushi with all the bits included, damn tasty!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mmm, wasabe..definitely of the mustard family (according to the interweb). Tastes like horseradish but deserving of a place here due to its mustardy heat either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Funnily enough, Wagamama's in town does a Wasabe based desert. Haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting!

http://www.wagamama.com/menus/desserts.php
    wagamama chocolate fudge cake - £4.25
    rich chocolate fudge cake with a wasabi and white chocolate fudge filling.served with dairy vanilla ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Good Christ! A bit like that restaurant in the US (San Fran I think) where everything is garlic flavoured - I'm sure it has a catchy name. They have a garlic ice cream.

• Advertisement

that's proper healthfood.

off-topic: Garlic pepper is quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

That chocolate fudge cake with a wasabi and white chocolate fudge filling is nice. I got it to see was it hot and it wasn't at all but it's flavour was unique for a desert. The portion was far too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Wasabi
    wasabi.jpg

Made famous by that god damm Budweiser ad "Wassup" , Steve-O of Jackass snortin' a bowl of the stuff and well... because it's actually quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Mustard is for wuss's when compared to wasabi, Remember my first encounter of the stuff, needless to say If you think mustard can blow your mind and sinus's then your in for a nice surprise.

You can get sushi rolls and wasabi in the galway market on saterdays.And for fec all too, 3.50 or something like.

sorry for draging up an oldie, but I was planning a mustard is for wuss's thread before a quick search showed me this thread.

I demand a wasabi forum! :D

Originally posted by Ajnag
    Mustard is for wuss's when compared to wasabi, Remember my first encounter of the stuff, needless to say If you think mustard can blow your mind and sinus's then your in for a nice surprise.

You can get sushi rolls and wasabi in the galway market on saterdays.And for fec all too, 3.50 or something like.

This saturday. Expedition to town for munch.
    I WILL HAVE MY WASABI!

Those chilli-pepper-look-a-like things are damn tastey too. Buy them by the bagful.

sorry for draging up an oldie, but I was planning a mustard is for wuss's thread before a quick search showed me this thread.

I demand a wasabi forum! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasabe!!!!! looks like snot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

The correct spelling is WASABI. Just thought I'd put that one to bed.

Now, watch out for the pre-packed sushi stuff with the "Aya" brand that you get in the likes of Tescos because the dollop of wasabi that they include is very weak indeed. Some of the markets that sell these pre-packs will also sell tubes of real wasabi and jars of the lovely pickled ginger condiment. Tescos at Bloomfields in Dun Laoghaire is one. Look for the Yutaka brand of wasabi.

For those of you who don't know how to eat sushi - You put the soy sauce on a small shallow dish and mix in some wasabi. The amount of wasabi you use should be adjusted carefully to suit how hot you can handle. You can mix the wasabi in well or leave it kinda lumpy. I prefer kinda lumpy. You then take your piece of sushi and dip it in the soy/wasabi and then pop the whole sushi in your gob and enjoy the mad head-rush combined with the delicious taste and texture of the little bit of chewy heaven. The pickled ginger is for nibbling between pieces of sushi so as to clean your palate in readiness for the next sushi sensation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Syxpak, try the little shop beside the one that sells glittery crap (Luv It, or something equally inane, on Abbeygate street, or whatever the street Sally Long's is on...). there's a little stairway beside it that leads up to a small room with a till, an oriental lady and shelves absolutely f*cking loaded with wierd crap. The wasabi's on your left as you go in the door, 3.50 a tube.

I have a tube of wasabi here at work right now. I'm eating it. It's bloody gorgeous. In small quantities. It's really quite hot. But the taste is divine, and not dissimilar to mustard, yet highly unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Dr00g wrote:
    For those of you who don't know how to eat sushi - You put the soy sauce on a small shallow dish and mix in some wasabi. The amount of wasabi you use should be adjusted carefully to suit how hot you can handle. You can mix the wasabi in well or leave it kinda lumpy. I prefer kinda lumpy. You then take your piece of sushi and dip it in the soy/wasabi and then pop the whole sushi in your gob and enjoy the mad head-rush combined with the delicious taste and texture of the little bit of chewy heaven. The pickled ginger is for nibbling between pieces of sushi so as to clean your palate in readiness for the next sushi sensation. :D

Doh never knew that about the ginger :o

Left it untouched most of the time as I felt it ruined the taste of the sushi :)
    Beruthiel wrote:
    syxpak
    for a quick taste of sushi + the aforementioned sause, go to Marks and Sparks food dept, right beside where they sell the sandwiches you will also find ready made sushi with all the bits included, damn tasty!

Looks the biz but there is no raw fish / crustacean in it. Classic case of British adaptation methinks :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

once, a kid brought in wasabi for a school presentation. not knowing what wasabi was, my friend dared me to eat a spoon full of this green stuff. since i didn't get a piece of the sushi i thought, well sure, might as well get something outta this, and so i took a heaping spoonful.
    Although my face turned to a bright red, sweat dripped down, and smoke poured out of my ears i had to sit quiet since i was in school and it was a presentation -wouldn't want to be rude- (actually i think i was just unable to talk.. that stuff is hot) eventually the presentation ended and i got up to get some water.

the end

moral of the story: don't throw wasabi into ur mouth -less if u want to have an interesting story to tell (if one can call this interesting) for whenever wasabi comes up.

~beth

btw -really smoke was coming out of my ears, felt that way at least, always thought that was just something in cartoons til it happened to me.
    and another side note -there really is everthing covered in these forums.. one for mustard? the topics will never cease to amaze me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Maybe someone would be kind enough to demonstrate this steam-coming-out-of-ears phenomenon infront of a digital camera and upload it for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

unkel wrote:
    Looks the biz but there is no raw fish / crustacean in it. Classic case of British adaptation methinks :eek:

Sushi and sashimi are not exactly the same thing, the raw fish is sashimi, the rice makes it sushi if my memory serves me correctly not the fish. I am open to correction on this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Sushi and sashimi are not exactly the same thing, the raw fish is sashimi, the rice makes it sushi if my memory serves me correctly not the fish. I am open to correction on this.
    You got it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

BuffyBot wrote:
    You got it :)

I stand uncorrected :D

Advertisement