Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD 64 Memory

Options
  • 21-05-2004 8:29pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Looks like I have made up my mind on the memory to go for to overclock my AMD 64 with a MACH II. Tested on a Chaintech nforce 250 motherboard (tempted to get that 2) anandtech ( www.anandtech.com) tested the OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC3700....they found they could overclock it to 524mhz from 466mhz on an intel board but using the chaintech nforce 250 they could get an 550mhz!....if they upped the volate to 3.0 on the ram they reckon they could obtain timings of 2.5-2-2 although they recommend coolers for the ram just to be safe. Head over to anandtech and let us know what you think AMD 64 fans.

I saw a person here posting on about best memory to go for for overclocking AMD 53 FX...this is it.

On other AMD 64 news its also on anandtech that amd have confirmed the FX 57 and the end of Duron plus latest news on amd 64 roadmap. Seems while there was some debate the FX 51 and P4 3.2 EE that intel still had the performace crown but even tomshardware had to admit that the FX is better in the areas that the P4 EE was designed for. Hehe its bad if amd decide the older standard amd 64 series is consigned to buget status and still performs on par with intel.

Away from that it seems the new Unreal 3 engine is only gone run on full detail on graphics card with 1GB of memory and that top cards now will run it on low settings :) check this article out http://www.gametab.com/jump.php?101994
    The Maddness of it all :) I just wish I had infinte money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye I read the article about the Unreal 3 engine after grabbing the 170Mb E3 demo, it is simply jaw dropping:eek:. I had to double take when he said 1Gb Gfx card memory - that number just seems wrong, surely 512Mb is more like it. In two years time 1Gb of RAM? :dunno:, seems a bit too much. Most PCs are being sold with 512Mb of RAm at most forget double that for the gfx card. Anyway we will more then likely see this game in 2006 - games are never released on time, Damn You Valve!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Off Topic but, are you running XP 64-bit edition (or other 64-bit OS)? Is anyone with an Athlon 64 running it? If not why not? 32 bits is just mucking around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have it downloaded but havent got the nerve to try it on yet. From what I gather, there's still a lot of drivers/software that doesnt support the 64bit yet. So there's not much point installing it because even if you get all the drivers, which is available, most of the software still doesnt support it so its still the same as running the 32bit.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

With regards windows xp 64 I have it and running a dual os system with the standard 32 bit version. This has cause me to be unable to download latest updates for xp 32bit from the Microsoft site as I don't think there uploader can tell the OS's apart.

Asides from that I have not really used it. It boots up alot faster than 32 bit but inside its very barron. Little driver support. Took them along time to release support for my hard drive. Major 2 problems I know have is no isdn modem driver and ATI's refusal to release any sort of 64 bit graphics drivers until XP 64 is released latter this year (nvidia have drivers though)..... from what I heard alot of 32bit programs don't work some do and performance varies greatly from worse to about the same to slightly better. Its also beta drivers so hard to tell at this early stage. I'm holding out for an eventually performace boast akin to what Linux Gentoo & Mandrake got after it got a 64 bit OS something in the region of 20% on average.

I have tried installing Gentoo 64 but its a hassle not have the Latest 2.6 kernel which has at least some support for my hard drive...and even then requires tampering to get to run at right speed.

But really won't see much difference till the program and games start becoming common place and thats still a year away (although games wise there is Far Cry 64bit, Americas Army 64bit, Unreal Torunament 2004 64bit) from what I heard those games did all have a performace increase. Interestingly america's army has a bootable 64 bit disk that detect whatever you system specs are and using a Linux Kernal boots up in under a minute and runs like a console on your PC.

ATI has release they driver for 64bit.

You can get it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Em sorry to ruin the party but the FX needs registered memory to work, ie ECC RAM. Wait a few months and you can use the EB with socket 939 processors, dual channel. :)

EB's are not registered RAM. It can be used for A64's.

Well the OCZ EB PC3700 is on order. Should have with in the next few days, my old ram is gone from tomorrow in old probability. I have commited myself to the route of extreme overclocking.....may god have mercy on my sole.

I performed 3D Mark 2001 and 3D Mark 2003 (patched)
    My performace was (your gonna slap me here) slightly dissappointing although at first I did not think so but from what I have seen other scores can do on similar set up I realise ram was holding me back. Not the extra bandwidth is gonna do me much good until I get a MACH II hopefully 2 weeks from now but I still believe the lower timings will offer better performance.

On stock speeds
    My first benchmark was 18500 3D Mark 2001
    It about a week later dropped off 300. Overclocking my Cpu got it back up to just over 18900.
    3D Mark got me 6300 and a few drivers changed improved it slightly.
    I'm hoping this new memory will improve it anyway.

Asides from this I'm currently downloading ATI's XP 64bit beta drivers. Give the gaming side of it a whirl latter. Let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

With your setup you should be gettin 20k + , Ram is most lightly the problem. Will be nice to see how it gets on with the new stuff !!

Thats seems a bit low. Is your graphic card overclocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by Azza
    I saw a person here posting on about best memory to go for for overclocking AMD 53 FX...this is it.

@neokenzo, I was replying to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

that score seems way off the mark, I hit 12.5K on my xp3000+ barton 400FSB 512mb ram and a Gf4 ti4200 with +50 on core and + 75 on the ram (300-525)
    on an A7N8X-X..

Yeah civil servent is right about the FX ram I think. I was sure I read that the FX 51 was only that needed registered ram. Maybe its the 55 that will be first one out that does not need it.

Never overclocked my graphics card as its sold and not risking putting damage it now or for the next 2 weeks that I still have it. I intend to overclock X800XT when I picked up looking at the HIS excaliber one with the really good cooler thought its problem not gonna over clock as its probably preoverclocked.

Don't bother trying windows xp 64bit the drivers for perform way poor that the standard 32bit drivers. ANANDTECH even tested unreal torunament 64bit and it was still way poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Registered memory -> Socket 940 , all the Socket 940's will need registered memory.
    Standard memory -> Socket 754, 939 . All these chips need is standard memory.

ECC (error correction) doesent mean registered, generally the two go toghter but dont have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If anyone needs Registered DDR, I have an unused pack of Corsair PC3200LLP (512MB x 2) forsale..

Matt

Anyone know when the Chaintech VNF3-250GB is out. I here the value version of it is an excellent overclocker even without a cpu mulitplyer.

Oh and Matt Simis I put my laptop in buy and sell and am going for your MACH II for certain if yous till have it but still be at least 2 weeks fromt his point. I may have money much sooner but no way of getting to Dublin in next 2 weeks. If I do get the money I could reinburse you expenses if you could get to me.

You can get the Chaintech in the States already so I presume that you can get it here as well. Its just a matter of finding a retailer that sells it. I guess Chaintech isnt that well known here.

WHHHAAAAA 10,000marks in 3d mark 2001...oh wait thats full AA and AF which is 4 better than when I tired max AA and AF.....switch them off and what the hell 11,000marks ....can't be the new ram. Something up with my machine reinstall here I come.

Dude thats really low for your specs even with the AA and AF on. You should at least be getting around 20k++. Do you have C'n'Q enable?

Better now fixed that issue now...getting 19934 at stock pc mark 2001
    and 6475 marks 2003...I reckon when I do a benchmark when I re-install the OS it will go over 20,000 in 2001 and up say 200 more in 2003.......using pc mark my ram jumped by over 2100 marks while my cpu jumped 200 marks.

Did a small overclock with 3dmark 2001 and got 20,354 not much but my system is only half complete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement