Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take a tour of an Incinerator...

Options
  • 20-05-2004 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Everything you wanted to know about incineration but were too afraid to ask.

A new flash animated website luanched by VOICE this week,
    takes you on a tour through a 'modern' incinerator.

Judge for yourself.

see http://www.downtozero.ie

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Of course I disagree with Thermal treatment in place of a coherent recycling plan.

I notice mention of MBT here.

http://www.haase-energietechnik.de/en/Products_and_Services/Waste_Treatment/Haase_Biostabilator/

That all sounds well and good.

My question really is though, in a practicle sense, how would we ever build an MBT facility big enough to cope with all the left over waste?

We'd need a massive operation.

I totally support the notion of the polluter paying, but, if you thought there was pandamonium over Green bins, imagine the sort of idocy that would come into play if people had to pay *real* taxes to build and maintain large industrial scale MBT facilities.

I'd pay the tax, but, I see maybe 70% of people being up in arms about having to pay their share.

People are incredably short sighted like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Will Saint

MBT facilities are relatively cheap to build compared with incineration due to their simplicity. For example, an MBT plant in Milan with a capacity of 600,000 tonnes per annum was built rapidly in 1997 with the initial investment of 30 million Euros equipment being depreciated over 5 years.

An incinerator with a capacity of 100,000 tonnes per annum typically requires an initial capital investment of approximately 90 million Euros.

UK Hertfordshire's District and County Councils announced in July 2001 that they are carrying out an assessment of MBT and that they will not be pursuing incineration.

interesting to note that, a Forfás (governement advisory board) study showed that 97% of Irish people would recycle more if were made easier and 71% of Irish people who pay more for door-to-door collection of recyclables and compostable waste.

Saint

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: Thermal Treatment

There was a New Scientist? article last year about pressure cooking stuff in strong alkali ( 350c ?? / 5 Hours) - unlike inceneration you don't have to dry out stuff first , also supposedly gets rid of polycyclic molecules and some organic material/plastics ends up as recoverable "oil"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Typedef
    Of course I disagree with Thermal treatment in place of a coherent recycling plan.

How about in combination with one?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Ideally not, this magic MBT, is all it's cracked up to be.

Otherwise yes, thermal treatment of what can't be recycled to reduce the volume of landfill required, would be quite essential.

I'm probably not as up on MBT as I should be, but, from what I can see of it, the nature of what goes to landfill is the only difference.

In theory not having burned materials sent to landfill would be a good idea, but, I guess that depends on what's being put in there in their place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement