Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freerolling on the 20th (today)

Options
  • 20-05-2004 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

Anybody going in to the fitz tonight?

Might be about myself. Depends on how my exam goes today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

Hey i was wondering if you could help me. Ive never been to the Fitz. Where is it and is it over 21's?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Its on Fitzwilliam street (the road from Baggot street down to the Hollis st. hosp) on the left - about 200yds from baggot st.

It's over 18

Hyzepher

Nice one!

Thanks

Sorry to be a pain in the arse. What time does the freeroll start at tonite?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

9:30PM (ish).

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You should register by 9.

I'll be in the Henry Grattan (probably outside) from about 8:15 tonight if anyone is up for a pint. I'll be the bloke with crutches!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by DeVore
    (probably outside)
    Why outside?

Examage is done til saturday. Time for poker. See y'all about 8ish.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

well looking at the rain outside maybe I'll be inside...

its easier to spot a group outside if new players were going to turn up. We should really start going to Larry Murphys which is a nicer pub and not as extortionately priced!

Henry Grattans it is then, I'll be outside or on the ground floor.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    its easier to spot a group outside if new players were going to turn up. We should really start going to Larry Murphys which is a nicer pub and not as extortionately priced!
    But you're so damn recognisable and I have my crappy kenny rogers beard at the moment. Anyone should be able to spot us. Anyway it's a group of 2-3 at the moment. Any other takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, it's been a while since I played my cunning game of playing for a half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Bah, my King high flush (on the flop) beaten by a shall we say speculative turn and river filled full house, went out in 12th but aside from that I feel I played the best night of poker in quite some time. Didn't make any stupid calls and feel rather good about the whole thing.

Out about 6 hands after the freezeout. 2 pair never stand up to a flush draw.

Anyone get a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

You were unlucky, Amp, to say the very least. I would go as far as to say it is one of the worst bad beats I have ever seen.

Here goes:
    Approx 16 players left.
    Blinds 800/1600
    Me small blind with about 10.5K in chips
    Amp big blind with about 7.5K

Action is passed by everybody. I look to see 2/3 off suit, a raising hand if ever I saw one ;-)
    Now, I'm quite low in chips relative to the chip stacks at the rest of the table and will be in trouble unless I win a couple of hands soon.
    I hate 2/3. You never really know where you stand with it when the flop hits. 99% of the time I fold it before the flop as any sane player would.

Amp has less chips than myself so I see an opportunity. He cannot call a large bet unless he has a reasonably big hand as he will be pot-committed with only about 2.5k left and the small blind to come. If I win the bet, I make a profit of 2400. I decide to apply a bit of pressure - I bet 5000, hoping to take the pot there and then.

Amp hesitates for a while and then, to my disgust, calls. I'm in big trouble now as I can see no way I can get him away from this hand.
    Devore, who was dealing for us at the time showed us the the flop.

8 3 10 (I think) all diamonds.

Okay, I have hit this flop but in the worst possible way I have a pair of 3s with the the worst possible kicker and no diamonds. I check, hoping not to have to commit any more money and knowing that Amp has to call, no matter what he has.

Amp goes all-in. I figure it is the only way he's gonna win this pot but sense a bit of strength all the same.
    There is now approx 12k in the pot. For 2.5 k, I can win a pot of 12k iff he is bluffing.
    Reluctantly I call.
    Amp shows a monster hand - K9 of diamonds for the second nut flush.
    We nearly didn't bother with the turn and river but decided to have a look all the same.
    3 on the turn and an 8 on the river gave me a miraculous full house and was Amp walking. Houdini would be proud.

Amp is unlikely to suffer a bad beat like that ever again.

I tightened up after this lucky escape and went on to win one of the four seats on offer for the big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Jesus, that is a bad beat. Still you got your money in Troll and took your chance. The other point is that amp probably should not have flat called your bet. Either muck the hand (which is prob what I would have done) or , if he thougth you were stealing, reraise you all in . With 2,3 offsuit you wouldn't have thought long about it. Isn't hindsight a great thing. i'll have to remember that hand if I am sitting to your right next thurs. Well done for getting a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

Got my first ticket for the big game last night. Do people generally use the ticket for the €250 game or do they try to change it for credit for entry into €100 games (if this is even possible)?

That fella who came 5th really ****ed up! He seemed knackered and just lost the plot (and the pot) completely. 5 players left and the person on BB wouldnt be able to afford SB. For some reason, the guy on SB decided to raise all-in when he could have just raised enough to put BB all-in. BB folds. Raiser called by other player and the SB subsequently loses. Came fifth when he could have strolled into top four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jankis

Originally posted by Obscure
    [
    That fella who came 5th really ****ed up! He seemed knackered and just lost the plot (and the pot) completely. 5 players left and the person on BB wouldnt be able to afford SB. For some reason, the guy on SB decided to raise all-in when he could have just raised enough to put BB all-in. BB folds. Raiser called by other player and the SB subsequently loses. Came fifth when he could have strolled into top four. [/B]

That would be me :mad: ...

It was part amazment at making the last table and part physical exhaustion. Expensive lesson learned...

Indeed, the guy who came fifth really fcukt up.

Blinds 4000/8000.
    5 players left, top 4 get a ticket and 5th gets 125.

He was on the small blind with about 25k and Leslie 'loose me the money honey' mclean was on the big blind. Leslie had 90000 in chips so had 1000 left after posting his big blind. He would therefore be out of the tournament if he didn't win either this hand or the next hand (not enough to pay full small blind)

So, unless leslie gets a miracle, he is out of the tournament and everybody else gets a ticket.
    Time to play it cool me thinks.

I was on the button and saw KQ suited. I had about 45K in chips so knew I couldn't get into too much trouble against the smaller stacks yet to act. I also had a reasonably strong hand if leslie was to make a stand and go all-in for the extra 1K.

Small blind calls. Flop = K,rag, rag. The standard course of action would be to check this all the way and hope that Leslie has hit or will hit the turn or river.

Small blind, however, defies logic by making a raise of 12000. Leslie folds of course so he lives to fight another hand.

I decide that this guy cannot have better than KQ. Risky I know but I have a lot more chips than him. I punish him for his error by reraising him all-in. Surely he must be putting me on a strong hand now. If he folds he still has a lot more chips than leslie and can survive a whole round at the table as he is next on the button.

He calls with K7 and my KQ holds up. Small blind is out of the tournament and everybody else gets a ticket.
    Leslie cannot believe his luck as he thought he was dead and buried.

Was impressed with your play last night, Obscure, didn't realize you posted on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

By the last table it seems to be mostly a game of stamina and concentration!! Especially when you still have the drive home to look forward to.

Leslie was hiding his chips a bit which i guess threw you off a little, if i'd known he was that low, i would have concentrated more on him (for some reason i thought he had a big stack). But then again fair play to him for winning!

I dont really post as much as read, still trying to learn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jankis

Thanks for making excuses for me, but I know I ****ed up!
    Leslie had every right to be happy with himself.

Is my 125 credit for 5th useful for anything other than partial entry to 250 tournaments?

jankis , don't fret upon it too much - It is the type of mistake you make once and once only and will stand to you next time you get to the final.

Final table strategy is something you learn only by experience and requires a lot more concentration. You obviously were too tired to be aware of Leslie's predicament and were in autopilot mode. Well played otherwise.

You should use your voucher to play a couple of 20-in tournaments,

• Advertisement

That was the most ungodly beat ever. I'm glad it wasnt me! :)

I even tried to muck the cards because my brain was saying "its over"...

You needed both of the remaining 3's or one 3 *and* an 8 or a 10.

The odds on both threes with both hands showing were: 2 : 2025 (roughly once in 1000 times that hand is played out)

The odds on a three and an 8/10 are a little trickier; its the sum of the odds of a 3 then an 8 or 10 and the odds of an 8/10 then a 3.

the first is 2/45 * 6/45 = 12/2025

and the second is the same = 12/2025

meaning the odds of the house are 24:2025

The chances of winning from when the hand goes down therefore is: 26:2025
    (if you played it 78 times you'd expect pokertroll to win once and amp to win 77 times).

I dont think I've ever seen a beat that bad. even one card to save you on the river is only 1:45 roughly...

DeV.
    ps: that math was done in my head so it might be off but I think its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Decker

Hi,

hard luck Amp and well done Mark!

Alex

ps there seem to be more and more boards people making the last 2 tables!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Dev

The odds are not as high as you might think. Dont forget a 22, 88, TT would also have given him the hand. Also the odds are */45 x */44 not /45 * /45

Still not much chance of hitting regardless.

Hyzepher

Actually the odds are a little better (not much!) then that as Mark could also have hit two 8 or two 10's to make the house too...

the odds of that are 12:2025 more so we'd have to add that onto the total, making it a 36 in 2025 shot.

I still wouldnt be betting much on it :)
    (all the same... THINK OF THE VALUE!!! :) )

DeV.

[edit] D'Oh, posted the same time as Hyzepher... *and* I forgot about the two 2's option and the reduction in cards. I did say I was doing it in my head :)
    we'd have to add another 6:1980 to the odds, and change 2025 to 1980 everywhere. By my (dodgy) reckoning that makes it a 42:1980 shot.... a veritable coin toss :)

Advertisement