Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wee bios flashing prblem

Options
  • 20-05-2004 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Simply put cant flash ATI bios as i have no floppy drive.

Have tried a lot of things inc bootbale cd roms ,all fail to work.
    Even tried to install Dos 7.10 in a small partition ,wanted a floppy drive to continue install.

I like my case floppy drive free and well i dont have one anymore.

Any ideas?

Have 2400XP at 2.5 and want to wreck GPU before 9800 arrives.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Surely you can borrow a floppy drive and cable from someone for a few hours? Don't even put it in your case, just let it hang out. Where are you? If you're in Limerick you can borrow one off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

get yourself a decent bootable cd (hiren's boot cd is what i used for flashing my bios & upgrading my optical drives firmware)
    stick the required bios files & flashing app onto a cdrw and away you go.

go into any app on hiren's boot cd & then quit, this will dump you into dos mode (with drive R as a ramdrive iirc)
    type x: (the drive letter that contains the cdrw with the new bios file on it)
    type copy *.* r:\
    go to r: and flash the bios.

however;
    flashing the bios of your gfx card is a risky business... during the process you'll be prompted to back up your existing bios, which is highly recommended in case you **** up the flash.
    not having a floppy drive now is where the headaches start.
    you mentioned that you have a small dos partition, back up the bios to that when prompted.
    if you didn't have a seperate partition, you'd be ****ed (i think hiren's boot cd has dos drivers for usb memory keys... so you could also back up to one of those...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seemingly Nero version i was using had a bug in it wouldnt make a bootable cd without a floppy ,nerwer version does it from IMG file.

Got it flashed, added a P3 Heatsink fan to it now to whomp it with ATI Tool :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cool.
    think i'll flash mine from a vanilla 9600 to a pro later:)

yeah, i remember that problem with nero. you couldn't just compile a boot cd & burn it either, you had to save it to an image & then burn from that. well fiddly

Advertisement