Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG the best?

Options
  • 19-05-2004 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Ok whenever I'm reading this forum I'm always working on the implicit assumption that everyone thinks TNG is the best Series of them all.

Is this the case? Is there anyone who prefers one the others? And if so are they just saying it to be different ;)

I could possibly see someone arguing for DS9 at a stretch I suppose. But TNG has basically been the blueprint for all spinoffs since.

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'd definetly stick a hand in for DS9 due to its darker side and representing more morals and muddy issues in then the clear cut right and wrong philosophy of TNG and also had the war which i liked

DS9 however imo didn't really get going until the end of season three start of season four.

with TNG being a blueprint for all the other spin offs perhaps, particurlarly as it is the best star trek solely based on a ship which is the more typical format while DS9 had some difficulty due to the pure fact that it was a space station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I rate Ds9 on the same level as TNG tbh

Ds9 had every thing TNG had + some a great captian good crew good stories and a big ass war! :p really you couldnt ask for more.Oh and garek !! i really loved that cardie!

Tng/Ds9 joint first
    Enterprise (dont ask why i have no idea)
    Voyager
    TOS

in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Ok so there are some arguments that DS9 was quite good;
    I'll admit that DS9 had some very fine, well developed characters: Garek, Quark,O'brien etc.

But is it not true that TNG is the yardstick by which anything else will be judged ? None of the above would have been possible without it.

Yes you can compare them episode for episode and say Episode X of DS9 was just as good as any TNG episode. But the ingenuity and originality in terms of the development of the ST universe, the technology, the characters is unparalleled in TNG.

davej

Yes Tng is the daddy of course and had the best ship in all of sci-fi in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

meh i prefare the E-E, your arguement about none of the above happening without TNG though doesn't hold much sway with my as TNG wouldn't have been possible without TOS and the movies, the only difference is that DS9 and the rest are a continuation of TNG timeline

yes we should judge things by TNG but looking back at it now it seems somewhat dated and idealistic, whilst the darker parts of DS9 would appeal to me more these days i think

data

• Advertisement

E-E is good looking but the E-D is the daddy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

DS9 was probbley the best, i liked TNG but it wasent brillent, If ENT contunies the same as it has been going for next weeks episode and the last 4 episodes then i would rate it better than TNG (im not talking the battles BTW im talking good dialog)

DS9 had more brillent episodes then other sereis

TNG had loads and VOY had quite allot but DS9 had the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Im not tryin to be different, as I really like TNG, but I always prfered Voyager to any of the other series'.

But I've never liked a character as much as Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I never watched DS9 a whole lot, but the episodes I've seen are brilliant.

TNG is definately my favourite, I grew up watching it really.

Advertisement