Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymagash??

Options
  • 19-05-2004 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the name of the comedy show which this fictitious town appeared in? Mainly Irish political satire was on RTE late 1970's / early 1980's. Eamon Morrissey & Frank Kelly (Fr. Jack Hackett) played a variety of rolls in it. The Scrap Saturday / Bull Island of its time, but better.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hall's Pictorial Weekly if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

yeah! the old news readr? Frank Hall, couldn't remember the name, cheers. classic show, especially the piss taking of local 'cumann' meetings, FF of FG piss take not sure, probably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah those were de days...Minister For Hardship, Mothers Of Seven, Cha and Myre (sp) those opening credits (watch for the dog!)....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Originally posted by mike65
    Cha and Myre (sp)

the two Cork lads with the overcoats & caps?! i'm having flashbacks here. Cha & Mya. eamon Morrissey delivering the leaders address at the Ard Fheis was priceless. No chance of it being on video or dvd i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

He also had a regular show on RTE radio doing the same thing. It was called 'The Frank Kelly Show' and was sponsored by Dubarry, or some Irish makers of hoisiery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ActingThe Magot

Originally posted by DublinWriter
    He also had a regular show on RTE radio doing the same thing. It was called 'The Frank Kelly Show' and was sponsored by Dubarry, or some Irish makers of hoisiery.
    I believe that the Frank Kelly sponsored show was for Glen Abbey
    Accordingly the shows catchphrase was (I think):
    Lets go with the Glen Abbey show
    Dubarry (still) make shoes, I think.

Of course the most famous of the sponsored shows was for ...Jacobs Biscuits-Ask Frankie..As sort of combination radio agony aunt /Frank Sinatra music show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The sad thing is I'm just old enough to remember those sponsered shows which went out I think at about 2 pm.

Wheres me zimmer frame gone, cough!

Mike.

Advertisement