Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developer imposed restrictions on Masts/Aerials?

Options
  • 19-05-2004 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I only recently became aware that some developers are putting restrictions on Aerials/satelite dishes/masts in their estates. It seems to me that their motivation in doing so would be to encourage NTL takeup in their estates - with them picking up backhanders in the process??
    Unless of course, they are just fulfilling restrictions imposed by the planning authority in accordance with the planning approval they received for the development...although the cynical side of me reckons its the former.

Anyways, i have a particular scenario in mind. Due to a dispute between the developer and NTL, NTL will not be available. However, there are restrictions on aerials/masts/dishes. Is this legal? Surely, homeowners have a right to make efforts to get a signal themselves if no other provisions have been made?

Would be grateful if someone could clarify one other point. Can someone confirm that 16ft. is the max. height for a mast without having to obtain planning permission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

These "developer imposed" restrictions are usually found in fairly upmarket estates and quite frankly anyone stupid enough to fork out hundreds of thousands for a house with a clause in the contract stipulatng what exactly they can do with it quite frankly deserves to live with the consequences of their own stupidity (then again I could see advantages in living in an estate where nuisances like dogs, car alarms, petrol lawnmowers and noisy kids were banned)

Can someone confirm that 16ft. is the max. height for a mast without having to obtain planning permission?
    The rules vary from local authority to local authority, rarely if ever make any sense but thankfully (with the exception of a handful of rather totalitarian boroughs on the east coast) are almost never enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    It seems to me that their motivation in doing so would be to encourage NTL takeup in their estates - with them picking up backhanders in the process??

*cough* careful now *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

quite frankly anyone stupid enough to fork out hundreds of thousands for a house with a clause in the contract stipulatng what exactly they can do with it quite frankly deserves to live with the consequences of their own stupidity

House Buyer: "I'd like to buy one of your houses mr. developer".
    Developer: "Whatever. That'll be <insert insane numerical value here >"
    House Buyer: "Ok, but i want to make some changes to your standard contract...."
    Developer: "Step to the side, ...whats that Buyer No.2...you'll take it ..good man...sign here..here..and here..."

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

eurorunner i live nr corofin . eircom tell me they are putting a wireless broadband mast up in belcare. are we every gonna get broadband out here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Eurorunner thats the "free market" for you :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement