Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northbridge temp @ 45

Options
  • 19-05-2004 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

My stock northbridge fan is running at 5000rpm (Abit IS7)

Its also reporting a temperature of 45oC

That said i tend to have the FSB between 250 & 270Mhz. Is that sustainable or should i invest in another northbridge cooler?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That sounds ok to me,my chipset is running at the low 40's aswell, and im not overclocking.:)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

is that at load or idle?

also, is that the abit model that lies about the temps? remember reading that a certain abit will be out by 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

thats idle!

At 5000rpm i think quite loud... Isn't that almost at the max for those types of fans?

Would a new heatsink/fan a) reduce noise b) lower temps/maybe increase overclockability?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

so the system is pretty overclocked? what are the stock speeds on everything and what are the temps at load?

have you tried a third party program like motherboard monitor or speedfan to read the temps. chances are they'll be the same. 45c seems ok-ish at idle, it really depends on what the load temps get up to. BUT if its really overclocked like it seems then that's prob the best you'll get out of it temperature wise. investing in a new fan might help but quite likely it'll be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

How are you checking the NB temps?
    The IS7 doesn't have onboard monitoring of the NB, only the cpu, pwm and mobo/case. If it's the PWM that's hitting 45c, then you need more cooling around the mosfets.

You need to cool the area around the black squares at the bottom of this pic (little heatsinks?):

221003_09s.jpg

A rear exhaust fan should help, if you don't already have one.

• Advertisement

Sorry its the motherboard thats reaching 45degrees.... So i need to cool the mosfets..

Any1 any good at making mini heatsinks? (will pay of course)

Unfortunately i wont be able to install a rear exhaust the PSU is positioned directly above the cpu, so cooling would be helped by the exhause on that.

If there's no space for an exhaust fan, maybe you need a new case?

Its a vapochill :)

My CPU is @ stays under 10degrees @ full load :)

So what's heating your mobo to 45c? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Vapochill is water cooling, aint it?

Whats your case temp?

I think there is dead heat spot around the power regulators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

No a Vapochill is phase cooling. I installed a passive HS on in my vapo to reduce noise and I don't notice any difference in the overclock, and that was with a AMD 2600XP @ 2600mhz case temps in Vapo's are generally uber low due to the CPU being completely strapped up and running at ~-20 degrees. I'd say the reading could be miles off.

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    No a Vapochill is phase cooling.

Gimme the jist of how that works

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Gimme the jist of how that works

works on a compressor basis like a fridge...

Takes the heat from the CPU, runs it thru a compressor and a radiator with a large, quiet fan that spins and disapates the heat.

The cooling head would be at -20degrees but effectively cooling the CPU to around the freezing mark or below if you set it to do that.

I may try installing some mosfet heatsinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ouch, seen it with a few motherboards and my current motherboard chipset runs at 22 idle with the cpu at 44 after installing an exhaust fan in the spot in question. Beforehand it was 28 idle for the chipset and 51 for the cpu idle :eek: as the psu didn't take enough hot air out on it's own.

Thanks Stan. Put in a silent fan, id say the PWM temp would drop to about 35'C under load then

• Registered Users Posts: 65,161 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Sir Random
    If it's the PWM that's hitting 45c, then you need more cooling around the mosfets.

The safety limit of the PWM temperature is actually about 120 degrees Centigrade :)

Obviously the higher the temp, the quicker the mobo would warm up. I'd advise to install some more cooling if you regularly see the PWM hitting 100 degrees under full and prolonged load or if it affects your mobo temp too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'd say a large slow intake fan would give you better results.

Positive air pressure inside the case with cold air from outside would give you better mobo results than a blow hole.

Something like a lsow 120mm fan, if you have rom for it. The likes of Panaflo or YSTech are good for low noise fans.

LD

Advertisement