Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got it all up and running, any hints now?

Options
  • 19-05-2004 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Just thought I would post my progress. I just built my first home built system and after a few teething problems, it's all perfect. I had it built but had problems with the heatsink and the wires were all over the shop. I stripped her down this evening and built her again in order to tidy the cables away properly and get at the heatsink properly.

The specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8E Prescott
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    512mb OCZ Pc4000 CS 2.5 4-4-7
    Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    2x37.5GB Western Digital Raptors - Raid 0 array
    160GB Western Digital Caviar

Antec Sonata Case

So its up and running now and all is well. I must say, the two Raptors running in a raid 0 setip are fooking sweet. I am gonna start benchmarking her tomorrow once I get all the most recent driver updates. I wanna start overclocking her afetrwards to what sort of improvements I get. Anyone have any experience with a similar setup or know anything in particular to look out for?

I have been messing around a bit and have been able to overclock the CPU to 3.52 by upping the V-Core a slight bit. What graphics card tool would you use? I have been messing around with AtiTool a bit but the card seems to be configured differently to what it says??

Does anyone have this board in particular and would you mind explaining the different options on the Bios on the same screen where you set the FSB speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,134 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice one m8 :D

Happy times overclocking the bejaysis (no pun intended) out of it - 3.5 is a fine score if prime 95 stable :)

Let us know your score on this fun benchmark...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

P4 2.8E o/c'ing tips:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65294

P4C800-E Deluxe performance tips:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59206

I'm using Infinite DRAM Idle Timer and DRAM Refresh Rate @ 64µsec, but you should experiment to find what works best with your ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Got 42 second in pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Very nice i must say :) !! And u bet my 43sec Pi aswell , stupid XP !!

You should pop up a few benchmarks like SiSandra file system (for Raptors) , memory, and mabye a little 3d mark........... just for interest sake !!

Have been running benchmarks for a bit now but can't he over 49,000 in Aquamark.. I want 50,000!! They tend to flucate by a 1000 now and again too!!

• Advertisement

COL_LOKI, what fans have you got in your Sonata?

Fans....... 2x120mm on the Rad (1xAntec - comes with the case, 1x One that comes with the Rad), 1x120mm Fan on the PSU, Artic Cooler on 9700pro.

All Fans running @5v, NB fan removed, very quiet machine.

If your lookin for quietness make sure you plug the fan into the fan controller or it will run at full 12v which i think is loud.

Did you overclock the GFX card at all? I use power strip for overclocking mine, am not sure how good it is when compared to others but i find it ok!! Should get you past 50k ...........

I have been running Aquamark in various different configs with varying results.

The very max in hit this morning was 49,000 but 48,000 is the norm. The processor seems to be the source of the problem. Its getting just 9,000 in the CPU mark in Aquamark while running at 3.54. The graphics card is over clocked to 466/365 which is pretty sweet.

I got pi down to 40 second which is the same as one of of my mates with a 2.8C clocked at 3.5 too. Another lad is hitting 42 seconds with the same processor...

See here for my Aquamark score... I am a bit miffed?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I dunno, I think that's a pretty respectable score you got there. Certainly nothing to be miffed about! :)

What do you get on 3DMark03 and 3DMark01?

BTW, is your GFX core at 466? That's pretty good! I get sparklies above 430. Have it at 427/405 and get 49,487 on Aqua.

You could try upping your memory voltage and reducing the timings (2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7) mabye? Or up the Vcore a little more and overclock CPU a little more?

What cooling do you have, Zalman 7000?

• Advertisement

Yup I have my core at 466 and the memory at 365. I am delighted by this.

However, it's my processor score I am not happy with.

The 2.8E overclocked to 3.5 scored 8,956 while a 2.6C overclocked to 3.45 scored 10,692... We both have the exact same ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

perhaps that due to the wider FSB you would have had on the 2.6c and also due to the fact that its a prescott?

Higher FSB might have something to do with that but im still supprised theres such a difference!! I know northwoods do perform better than prescotts at lower level but there was talk of the prescotts comming back after the 3.5ghz mark...........(havent seen any benchmarks myself on this so im only speculating)

[edit] Data got in there b4 me :p

Yeah, I had read that the lower end Prescots didn't O/C as well similarly clocked Northwoods. Have been trying to find the article/review, will post it if I find it again.

Just as an FYI, my CPU score on Aqua is 10,748, GFX = 6,429.

As a matter of interest, what's the FSB x Multi on the 2.8E and 2.6C?

This is throwing me off:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/northwood_prescott-09.html

Realistically my Prescott should be performing within 10% of the Northwood!! Ahhh

interesting arcticle that was looking for benchmarks like that recently hoping some one would do something like that.

so its all a load of bollix really the curves don't cross like expected like they mention in the article and like has been discussed on boards

This is why I am a bit miffed.. Me processor seems to be a perculiar wee ****er!

Did you try going higher than 3.5GHz?

I always drool when I look at OC databases like this. Always makes me feel like an inadequate overclocker... ;)

damn it... I'm going to try again!!! 1.65v vCore here I come! :eek:

so its all a load of bollix really the curves don't cross like expected like they mention in the article and like has been discussed on boards

I dont know what to think, it seemed nice and cut and dry from some reading on the boards......... these benchmarks put a different light on things!!

Ahhh its good to know we have reliable AMD to fall back on, there not confusing at all and like to keep things clear *.

This is why I am a bit miffed.. Me processor seems to be a perculiar wee ****er!

LOL, thats one way to put it alrite!! Mabye try a celeron* ?

* I might just be jokin here :D

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    Did you try going higher than 3.5GHz?

I always drool when I look at OC databases like this. Always makes me feel like an inadequate overclocker... ;)

damn it... I'm going to try again!!! 1.65v vCore here I come! :eek:

/me give adeptus an enthusiatic "you can do it lad" be strong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    I dont know what to think, it seemed nice and cut and dry from some reading on the boards

I seem to remember all the prescott performing better after 3.5Ghz gubbins coming from only one particular intel fan boy? Or is that too mean?

Jesus_thats_gre I will mention your hopes for a 50,000 system in my prayers tonight....now how does one sacrifice a virgin to bill gates again???

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    /me give adeptus an enthusiatic "you can do it lad" be strong

hehehe... cheers! Have it at 1.7v and it's running away. Not sure of the wisdom of this, but I think that's for another thread.

Secret Squirrel, I'm not sure Bill would know what to do with a virgin... :)

JTG, join me, and go for a higher overclock! ;) I'd love to get my Pro to the same OC as yours! Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

nice to see more people buying the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, very good board!

but has anyone used the proprietery Wifi slot? personally I prefer using a G card for speed wise.

Didn't bother with the Wi-Fi slot.. Mind you, I do like some of the functionality it offers, shame about about the speed though...

The processor sits around 3.55 GHz but any more and it won't boot, no matter what I have tried... I have a basic termaltake heatsink, I know I should have go the SP97 or whatever but they have been out of stock for ages and I wanted a machine now :D

It really is just my processor holding me back!!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI

LOL, thats one way to put it alrite!! Mabye try a celeron* ?

* I might just be jokin here :D

You can keep that to yourself heh ;) You can be hung around these parts for statements like that!

Right, I am leaving the CPU at 3.4GHz and have the 9800 Pro sitting at 452/351 just so I am not pushing everything too much.

In Aquamark I got 47572.

In 3D Mark 2003 I got 6782.

Pi is 41 at this speed.

TBH I am relatively happy at the moment, just wanna play some games :)

how do you all test with aquamark 3 cause i'm doin it using the demo and only get about 28,000

do i have to buy it ;)

Originally posted by Superman
    how do you all test with aquamark 3 cause i'm doin it using the demo and only get about 28,000

do i have to buy it ;)

Am using the demo myself!

Originally posted by Superman

do i have to buy it ;)
    Most ppl here would probably be using it unregistered. Registering it gives you access to more tests, but it won't improve your score.. :)

What's your CPU, gfx, mem etc?

• Advertisement

did it a few more times and still gettin 28,000

I got a pretty bangin' system:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    P4 3.0C @ 3.3GHz 220FSB
    1024Mb (2x512MB Corsair XMS3200C2PT TwinX)
    LG Flatron L1720B 17'' TFT Monitor
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256Mb
    Maxtor 160Gb S-ATA
    Teac DV-W50D DVD±RW/DVD±R
    Samsung SD-616Q DVD-ROM
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350
    Buffalo Airstation 54G
    LG Flatron L1720B 17'' TFT Monitor
    Noiseblocker Power Supply 350W
    Zalman CPU Fan CNPS7000A-Cu

I never have performance problems so whats up with aquamark?

Advertisement