Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking 2500

Options
  • 18-05-2004 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

When Oc my 2500 i cant get the fsb to 200+... It'll go to 199(ish) but only boot to windows... I can run it at 190-195 no probs. Is the reason it wont go any heigher due to my motherboard, ram, heat???

Any help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Same for me, up the voltage a notch & it will boot @ 200fsb.

Should run stable, just test it.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I have upped the voltage, what u running urs at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whats max speed for 2500?
    I can get 2366 stable with 2400XP have enough cooling to push it more just a wuss :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Max speed depends on cooling / voltage / the chip itself. Regular 2500's its a real struggle to get it to 2.5ghz, generally the average is 2.3ghz - 2.4ghz.

With the Mobile 2500's, people are getting very good results with high end air (2.7ghz region). I havent studied the mobiles aswell as the regular Xp2500+'s so im not sure of the average overclock but its definetly higher than the normal 2500's.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by KdjaC
    I can get 2366 stable with 2400XP

Impressive :)

What cooling are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

im getting a xp 2500 soon to overclock
    whats the highest voltage thats normaly considered safe on good air cooling for a 2500+

eg for a p4 its about 1.7 volts
    what would it be for a xp?

unklerosco what kind of ram do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my barton pretty much refuses to do anything over 2.2ghz but it does do it at 1.75vcore which isn't too bad, i don't think i get the best chip for overclocking but luck of the draw and all that, upping the vcore doesn't seem to help very much.

safe vcore depends on your cooling i don't have the balls to try it over 1.85 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by unkel
    Impressive :)

What cooling are you using?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=119402&cks=PRL
    This one have it running at 2.2 @40 temp goes to 47 at 2366.

Every week or so i notch it up a bit and leave it for a week to make sure no funny stuff happens, which reminds me about a new post i must make :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The highest voltage ive been to is 2.1v with my old 2500. It totally perfect and still running in another machine.

It is a trade off between temps and voltage, increased either will generally reduce life span of the CPU. If you keep it cooler then a higher voltage wont effect your chip as much. Generally with high temps and high voltage (failing a sudden death which is extremely rare with XP's and generally the owners fault) the CPU life might be reduced by 50%.

Avergae CPU life is 10years lets say 50% of that is 5years........ i dont plan on using my 2500 for more than another year anyway but it will last no problems at all.
    Its all about personal choice, if you have good cooling (Thermalright / Zalman 7000) with decetn fan speeds then up to 1.95v should be ok IMO. Lower end cooling id keep it under 1.85/1.8v.

It also depends on what you are getting from the chip, a big increase in voltage for minimal speed increase is generally the point where you dont bother going higher. Some chips scale well, some dont (again cooling has an effect on this).

[edit] Ohh and kdjac, run Prime95 for a couple of hours to see if its stable. Even the most unstable of overclocks might seem ok until its put under a little pressure and then it will cause you problems.............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

tuss - 400mhz Std Geil memory i got from microdirect.co.uk

I'm gonna try up the voltage cause i just got me a new cooler... :-)

Got it running @ 200fsb 2170mhz Can only increase the voltage to 1.85 on my mb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement