Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual CPU optimization

Options
  • 18-05-2004 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

What is the best way to optimize dual P3 CPUs operating in a Win2000 setup for general everyday use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Am not sure what you mean by that?

Generally advantages of SMP's come when multitasking, encoding, rendering, or using programs that are coded to take advatage of the Dual CPU. Other than that it will perform the same (mabye slightly less mabye) than a single ring when its dealing with single tasks.

Ie for gaming the dual rigs would perform worse (by a bit) than a simular spec single CPU machine (ie with same components, CPU's etc) but this depends on the boards alot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Also, you have to install an OS with two CPUs installed bfore they are utilised.

For example, if you have a dual capable board running one CPU and then you stick in another one, it will not be used properly as the kernel needs to be installed on the dual core set up before it properly uses them.

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks for the responces guys. I have just installed Win2000 with both processors plugged in. I will not be using the system for games at all - just everyday surfing, office applications and some programming. I was just wondering was there any settings that would suit this kind of operation - for optimizing multitasking etc. For example - if I was encoding mp3s in the background, and ompiling a program at the same time.... Any suggestions?

Im not sure if you need Win 2000 "pro" or XP "pro" to take advantage of dual CPU's.......... i know 2000p and XP P are fine with dualies, just not sure about home versions. If your OS is installed properly and taking advantage of 2 CPU's then you wont have to worry about multitasking the OS will sort that out for you and take advantage of both processors.

Get the OS done right and you should be fine. (if some one knows for sure wheather 2000 or XP home will work on dual CPU's please post )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by ebowdia
    I will not be using the system for games at all - just everyday surfing, office applications and some programming
    What a waste! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well you dont really get a dual CPU system for games, would be a silly choice if that was your main usage area!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

If game engines are written with multithreading in mind, then it would help. Hopefully they will be written like this soon (with dual-cores on the way, there's no reason not to).

But I'd really like a dual-CPU system for my workstation / servers. That's where it'd really be worth it.

Ohh id love a dual system and was about to make one........ holding on for an overclockable opetron or new Xeon atleast (800mhz FSB).

The games that have been coded for SMP are few and far between, and even the couple that are out dont really take any advantage at all TBH. And its also hard to get some running in SMP enabled mode........... games just aint gear'd for SMP's :( .

Thats the main reason i dont have an MP system at the min.........

Advertisement