Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB XML question

Options
  • 18-05-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Ive just started a project I dreamt up, its a e-Business thing so I want to transfer my data using XML. I was wondering how exactly I do this. Is it a matter of retrieving the data I want to transfer from my data. doing some basic file processing within VB to create the XML tags and then sending it.

And then the reversse to read an XML file. Do I just use basic file processing to remove the tags and read the info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Draupnir
    its a e-Business thing so I want to transfer my data using XML.
    Why does it being an e-Business thing mean that you must transfer your data using XML?

TBH, XML is probably a bad idea in the majority of cases and simply used by some consultants to drive up their fees.
    I was wondering how exactly I do this. Is it a matter of retrieving the data I want to transfer from my data. doing some basic file processing within VB to create the XML tags and then sending it.

And then the reversse to read an XML file. Do I just use basic file processing to remove the tags and read the info?
    You can theoretically use the FSO along with some HTTP component, but with VB you would most likely use the MSXML parser. It is downloadable along with code examples at the Microsoft site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Ive just started a project I dreamt up, its a e-Business thing so I want to transfer my data using XML. I was wondering how exactly I do this. Is it a matter of retrieving the data I want to transfer from my data. doing some basic file processing within VB to create the XML tags and then sending it.

You use the MSXML to work with XML in VB. Creating it or parsing it. Add a reference to it in your VB project. To answer you question you need to give more specific detail on what it is you are doing. Its a bit too vague at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Depending on what you're doing...there may be even easier ways.

The newer data-access models can generate XML from datasets, if memory serves me right (been a while since I did VB).

So if you're dealing with data from a DB, it should be relatively simple to generate the XML.

Oh - and you can populate the recordsets from XML as well, so thats the "other direction" sorted as well, if it matches what you want to do.

jc

Advertisement