Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twinned Memory Question?

Options
  • 17-05-2004 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Lookin for a bit of help from all you nice techie folk out there.

I currently have 512MB of 400mhz DDR Corsair memory in my PC, now Im findin this a bit on the old low side for some of the most demanding *software* (games) I want to run.

Now I read somewhere something about "twinned pairs" or some such and was just wondering if theres any reason why I cant get a a.n. other stick of 400Mhz DDR memory and bung it in and bobs your mothers brother.

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

None what so ever...best get the same brand/spec to be safe.

Interestingly I did the same recently. Upgraded two same brand/spec 256k sticks to a 'matched' 1 gig pair (same make/spec as the 512 pair). Interestingly enough the 'unmatched pair' actually allows me a more stable overclock - strange huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Have you 2x256 or 1x512?
    Pentium or AMD?
    How many ram slots?
    Dual DDR supported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Hmmm, Its a single 512Mb stick. I presume Id have at least 3 slots free and its a pretty new AMD motherboard, AGP 8x, fast write etc so I presume is supports dual DDR.

Cheers

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

It may not, do you have the name of the mobo, you could look it up on the makers website.

Also to use duel channel you really want an identical memory stick or you're likely to have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Cheers guys, concise and helpful as ever.

Right, I've got a K7vm4 motherboard, which according to the website is rated memory wise for:

Memory Max. 2GB DDR
    2 x DDR, DDR333/266/200

I currently have Corsair 1 512mb stick of Cmx612 xms3200 cl2 400mhz memory. In one slot which leaves one slot free.

Now as I said earlier Im not really that techie at all, does that mean Im not getting the max from my memory, is it a crap MB. What you reckon?

Cheers

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The motherboard doesn't support ddr400 (pc3200) ram, so either overclock the fsb, and lower the multi. Or but 2700 (333) ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by Giblet
    Or but 2700 (333) ram.

Theres' no point in doing this. It wont match the PC3200 stuff he's already got. AFAIK there is no problem in running PC3200 memory at PC2700 speeds. Then if he gets really really lucky the PC3200 stuff might still be good for his next upgrade!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Stupid question!?
    can i add a 512mb memory stick to my pc and still use the 256mb stick i have to give me....eh 768mb memory...stupid right!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea that should be fine. Just make sure you get simular memory and your flying. PS everyone is unsure when doing something new, no matter how silly you think the question is feel free to ask......... we've all been there and asked our fair share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

cheers
    simular memory

like same manufactuer, or simalar specs like speed, DDR? and all that techie stuff

i have 256mb but i dont know what make, its a dell though so i presume its theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You should have a check and find out. If its RDRAM then its almost not worth upgrading as its very expensive and outdated. I think RDRAM mite also have to be installed in pairs........... so if it is RDRAM post and we can find out for sure :) . if its DDR then just grap the speed of it (ie Pc2100, Pc2700) and you should be fine with simular ram.

Try.......

www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk .......... think they have specific listings aswell as general DDR.
    www.crucial.co.uk ....... you can find out what memory by putting in PC model etc.

Advertisement