Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary wall and neighbour's extension

Options
  • 16-05-2004 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Our neighbour came into us Wednesday night and informed us that he was building an extension. He says as it was taking up 1/3 of his garden he doesn't need planning permission.

He said they would be knocking down about half of the wall that divides our gardens, and this would then become the side wall of his new extension. There's no windows on that side or anything.

They have the foundations dug and concrete poured in and presumably start laying bricks etc. tomorrow - now if and when it's finished and we have a blank wall we can paint, that's fine with me, however I'm wondering about the legality of this 'no planning permission' thing, and also about having a neighbours extension wall on the boundary.

Our place has a kitchen extension from about twelve years ago (we only bought it six months ago), and the side of our extension forms the start of the old wall on his property.

I don't really want to start a shit storm with the neighbour and I don't object to his extension if and when it's completed and the missing bit of the wall filled in, but does anyone know if having a neighbour's extension wall along that length of boundary might impact on selling the house in the future or will it be treated like any other wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your extension should be OK as it is over 7 years old.

His extension, if under a certain size, may not need permission. See: http://www.dublincity.ie/planning/planexem2.htm

As I understand it, anyone is allow build on their own boundary wall (even if shared), they can't build beyond it (overhanging gutter, balcony, etc.).

It is for the neighbour to make sure the boundary and your site are returned to their previous condition.

I don't think it will affect the sale of your house, but you might consider getting a written agreement that you can also build off "his" ;) wall.

Realisticly the only problem I see would be if his gutter was overhanging and needed to be maintained ('cos it would flood your garden). Make sure it all stays his side of the wall. Ask him now how he intends to build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

This is the leaflet that most of the CoCo's hand out

PL5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We had the same thing in Rathfarnham - the guy next door wanted to build onto 'his' wall & Victor is right, so long as there's no overhang (gutter etc) and he's within size, he doesn't need planning & not much you can do.

The resale value of our property was an issue. If the incoming buyers wanted to extend out the back, they'd have to build a new wall for their extension & it would shrink the size of any potential build. In the end, we compromised and had that section of the foundations widened with a slightly wider party wall that would allow us or buyers to extend, using the party wall as support.

We paid a small bit toward the wall & foundations - about €200 & everyone was happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just make sure he doesn't extend into your garden. friend of mines neighbour did exact same thing before and came a block width into his property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

i have walked out of buying several house when i saw that the neighbour had used the party wall for their extension.

The reason is that i was in the same situation with a previous house i was trying to sell and it effectd the sale big time.

So many people will walk away when they see this as it means that you have less area to extend yourself if you ever want to.

Dont let him build on the party wall unless you want to seriously devalue your house.
    If he does want to go ahead go to a solicitor and seek advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well it's two months later and his extension is complete over a month, apart from the snag list and putting a down pipe in for the gutter, and the builders have disappeared. No sign of them coming back to fill in the missing bit of wall.

Now the neighbour's gone off on holiday, and I heard you can't get a builder to do anything in the first couple of weeks in August anyway.

Am I stuck waiting for our neigbour to get the builders back to finish the wall - no way am I getting anyone in to do it and pay for it, so if that's what he's hoping for he can sod off.

I don't want to get into a longlasting row with the guy over this, but I think he's taking the piss at this stage.

Advertisement