Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf

Options
  • 15-05-2004 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Planted grass and it hasnt worked too well. I was thinking of digging it all up and replacing with ready made turf.

Where is the best place to buy ?

How much ? What is the size of each piece ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

well the best place in Dublin to buy it i know is in B&Q in liffey valley just pop a few rolls in the trolley and off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's a place in Balbriggan - that sells fantastic quality turf - just can't remember the name of it at the moment.

I've laid a huge amount of turf in my time & I aswear by this place - top quality & weed free (cheap too !!) - so much so that when I moved to Cork, I had it transported from Balbriggan.

I'll try to get the details

• Registered Users Posts: 65,061 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Originally posted by Andip
    when I moved to Cork, I had it transported from Balbriggan

Wow, must be good stuff! My brother in law is in need of some turf. The details of this place would be appreciated

I find the quality of the turf in B&Q not that great most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

http://www.shoppingdirect.ie/htmlsite/garden_products.asp?step=2&id=16&pstring=16 will charge:

- €337.50 for 70 sq yards plus €40

B&Q will charge:

- €318 for 70 sq yards plus depreciation of the car boot.

I was in B&Q today and they had a good quantity in good nick althought the sun was making a good attempt at drying it out.

Does anyone else have recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭mobby

How easy is it to put down turf, what sort of Preparation of existing area is required?

• Advertisement

Not sure of the current prices, but here's the guy I use in Balbriggan - top notch

Bridge Turf Lawns
    Courtlough
    Balbriggan
    Co Dublin
    (01) 8412348

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Originally posted by mobby
    How easy is it to put down turf, what sort of Preparation of existing area is required?

its easy enough you just need a good back and get a level line where u plonk first few rolls of turf and a long plank so you can knee on so ur not kneeing on new turf while putting it down and then stagnate it like as if you were a brickie (like putting on a wall of bricks)preparing ground is making sure is nice and even and raked and put good spread of fertilizer down before u laying turf and when its finished you have to water it everyday for 2 weeks and stay off it as well for two weeks,.....

Mad M is right - no great msytery to laying it.....I tend to put a layer of topsoil onto the ground where I'm laying it to get it nice and smooth (if you can afford the extra few cm's of height).

Advertisement