Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC or Upgrade??

Options
  • 15-05-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm a relatively new@upgrading and I have an old(4yrs) Compaq computer with a 600mhz Celeron CPU with 128 mb ram.

I can get a s370 1.4ghz celeron for ~€50 and 256 sd-ram for ~€110. I was wondering what anybodys opinion is as to whether I should do this upgrade and keep the computer for another year or so or forget about my current system completely and go for a new budget system.

I use it mainly for web browsing and some college work, not any major gaming etc.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

It depends on what you want to use it for? If games then yeah you should buy a new pc, if just net and word processing then your fine

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A 1.4 Celeron would do for web browsing, and college work(programming?) No point in going mad if your not doing anything else with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The price for the ram seems a little dear, but then prices are high at the moment. Where did you get the celeron for that price? Seems cheap for that.

256Mb PC133 SDRAM 16Mx8, 16 chips - Matrix is 89 yoyos with free delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well ill sell you a 256 mb pc133 stick for 40 euro
    or a 512mb pc133 stick for 70 euro
    pm me if interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

If you have ~€160 to spend, why not go for a new mobo/Celeron + DDR ram?
    Celeron 2.4Ghz €73 / Komplett
    EPoX EP-P4MKi €29 / Komplett (or full ATX for ~€40)
    256Mb PC2100 €50 (512Mb for €95) / Shop4Mem

Will he need a new psu for that. Do Compaq use custom ones like Dell do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You should really think about building a new system? It wont cost you that much and it will be a far better performer than the system even after its upgrade. Your basically putting money into a PC that is going to need upgrading in another area a while later. Ie graphics, Hard disk , cd drive, CPU after a while...........

Like dempsey mentioned the PSU might be wired differently if you need a new Motherboard, the PSU mightent be strong enough to power your PC with a big upgrade (should be ok with a new CPU & more ram). The case mite not be "ATX" which is the standard for the motherboards out at the min.

Mabye think along the lines of a cheap AMD pc, you will love the performance boost you get ......... And will prob start to use your PC for more things aswell.

Thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    The price for the ram seems a little dear, but then prices are high at the moment. Where did you get the celeron for that price? Seems cheap for that.

The price of ram has never been cheaper. Im after building a PC and bought 512Mb (2 x 256 Modules) DDR400 for 60 quid in PC World. My advice would to buy an AMD motherboard 49 Euro on Komplett

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121703&cks=PRL

An AMD Processor (Way faster than a celeron and pentium 4) arround 80 euro

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10051

And 512 Megs of ram from PC World

Thats a top notch upgrade for arround 200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The price of ram has never been cheaper.

Its actually one of the worst times to buy memory, the market price is pretty high at the min but it changes pretty regularly. Am very supprised to see PCWorld selling 512mb Pc3200 Ram for €60 , thats the cheapest by a long shot. Are you sure it wasent a mistake? Or mabye they bought at the rite time............ very strange!!
    An AMD Processor (Way faster than a celeron and pentium 4) arround 80 euro

Well arround €80 nothing beats the AMD's (Xp2500+ highly recomended). The celerons are dreadfull chips, not worth lookin at unless your stickin with intel. The P4's are better than the XP's without a doubt ("C" chips)......... but for a budget system AMD is the way to go.

Let us know what you think and we can pop up some specs........

[edit]
    Thats a top notch upgrade for arround 200 euro

Majour problem is if the PSU & Case are ok with the change. Also a small hard disk when near full performs badly, it mite be on-boards GFX so you will need a graphics card......... complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Its actually one of the worst times to buy memory, the market price is pretty high at the min but it changes pretty regularly. Am very supprised to see PCWorld selling 512mb Pc3200 Ram for €60 , thats the cheapest by a long shot. Are you sure it wasent a mistake?

Indeed. PCWorld are all over the shop sometimes with some left over items in the specials corner, but are you sure the 512MB DDR 400 was €60?

Ram is very expensive atm - just comparing the prices here on boards, I got a stick of 128MB SDRAM here last year for €10, now the going rate seems to be €20-€25

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Its actually one of the worst times to buy memory, the market price is pretty high at the min but it changes pretty regularly. Am very supprised to see PCWorld selling 512mb Pc3200 Ram for €60 , thats the cheapest by a long shot. Are you sure it wasent a mistake? Or mabye they bought at the rite time............ very strange!!

It was no mistake. I live beside the blanch PCWorld and usually go in once a week to look for such bargins. They dont have it on display so youll have to ask for it. Now that was a month ago so hopefully they are still selling it They were also selling 512Meg sticks of PC3200 for 100Euro. I bought 1 x 512 stick and 2 X 256 sticks (1GB) for 160 euro. I could have bought 4 x 256 modules for 120 euro but wanted to keep a slot free on my motherboard for future upgrade.

Well arround €80 nothing beats the AMD's (Xp2500+ highly recomended). The celerons are dreadfull chips, not worth lookin at unless your stickin with intel. The P4's are better than the XP's without a doubt ("C" chips)......... but for a budget system AMD is the way to go.

Your right the newer pentium 's are better than AMD (Im an intel inside person myself) but hertz for hertz AMD peform better.

Majour problem is if the PSU & Case are ok with the change. Also a small hard disk when near full performs badly, it mite be on-boards GFX so you will need a graphics card......... complicated.

Good point about the Case especially. Manufactures of PC's sometimes use non standard motherboard sizes to fit in there cases. Like Dell uses a micro size motherboard meaning you cant just buy a new one and put it in your Dell case. I wouldend worry to much about your power supply unit unless you intend making some major upgrades but check its wattage anyway just to be sure.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by clearz
    Now that was a month ago so hopefully they are still selling it
    Yeah, ram was cheap a month ago. Things change very fast in the world of PC components, just one company stops making DDR or reports poor yields, and prices soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Hey,

I managed to pick up the celeron 1.4ghz for €20 from the old stock of a local shop and decided I'd give it a go and if there's no real noticeable change then I'd go for a new motherboard etc.

However, when I install the new CPU and power up the machine the motherboard acts as if there's no CPU there at all. The cooler fan doesn't even start running. It's fine when I put the old 600mhz back in. The new CPU fits perfectly as they're both socket 370.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Some of the 1.1 celerons and all of the celerons that are faster than 1.1 are Tualatin CPUs. Your original CPU was a Coppermine. So your motherboard is probably not compatible with a Tualatin. This page explains the differencies.

http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/plip3t/index.htm

You'll need an adapter like this one http://www.powerleap.com/PL-370T.html to get it working in your motherboard. Incidentally if you decide to sell that 1.4 or the 600 I might be interested in either.

Just bear in mind that for about 150 you'd be able to buy a AMD CPU, Socket A motherboard, and some DDR RAM that would a lot faster than any upgrade you do to that Compaq.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

hey,

ive looked up an upgrade package on komplett, added in a better cpu and a graphics card. is this good value or are there better combinations?

abit kv7 Mainboard for Socket A (DDR) VIAKT600, SATA, ATX, Raid, LAN, Sound €72.60

AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz Socket A 333MHz, 512KB Barton, OEM €101.64

Spire CPU-Fan WhisperRock IV Socket A SPA04B4 For AMD up to XP 3200 Mhz €10.77

Radeon 9600SE Atlantis 128M DDR AGP,ATI9600SE,DVI-I,TV-Out, Lite-Retail €77.44

PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 6ns Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64 €108.90

ive already got another atx case and hard drive i intend to use. case is a year old, any issues with power supply compatibiliy?
    and im trying to buy from the one company to try and save on postage.

thanks for your advice,

tom

The 9600se isn't great. The 9600xt is the minimum you should consider. Even it it means dropping down to a 2600 or a 2500xp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well it depends on if he is a gamer or not

Originally posted by tuxx
    well it depends on if he is a gamer or not

If not a gamer then a 9200se would do. But he said not a major gamer. So therefore a 9600XT is a decent mid range card. The 9600se is no good for gaming, so why pay more for it over a 9200se?

Advertisement