Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky News Ireland??

Options
  • 14-05-2004 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I was just wondering what people think of the new service. Personally i ave watched on tuesday and thursday night, its seems to be alright i suppose but lets be honest what more ave they got to offer us , that we dont get from RTE , TV3 and TG4. There seems to be much hype about Grainne, ok shes a good looking woman but lets be fair about she should of hoped to get a slot on the british service rather than this poxy Half hour program. There was an article in the mirror today saying how bad the ratings are , Monday's ratings were 48'000 and Tuesday 22'000 its bad for sure but then again its satellite and not everybody in country has sky digital. Lets hope it picks up especially for grainne "What a woman".

Sky News Flop or Sucess? 14 votes

Yes its a sucesss
    0% 0 votes
    Its ok
    21% 3 votes
    Irish News Programming Is Better
    42% 6 votes
    Its Complete Rubbish
    35% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

I voted for the third option, but i kind of agree its ok also. Of course RTE have lots more news stories that sky don't even mention, but i've noticed tv3 have a bit more variety also.
    Its a slick operation, and no doubt it will do well, just in my humble opinion I wish it was a bit less tabloideeee. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I think its a great idea, speaking as a regular viewer of Sky News, and indeed UK News in general. I lived in London for nine years so I tend to watch more English News, as in Sky, London Tonight and BBC London rather than RTE & TV3, but thats just my preference.

Indeed while living away, and before the days when Internet streaming was so readily available, the opposite was true, you would go out of your way to see any Irish programming via Tara or Setanta.

Anyway back to the point, it would be great to see morning and lunchtime bulletins if they are to compete fully with the existing Irish services.The facilities are now in place so if they make a go of it, all they can do is try make it better.

It seems a tad shaky on its feet so to speak, but we cannot expect it to be as slick as the UK version straight away, but overall I find it a breath of fresh air in the Irish news envoirnment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well it is too early to say as yet. But with only 21 reports it's not going to worry RTE or TV3 to much.

But

It does show Sky News up, I hadn't noticed before but......

Sky News general only have five main news stories which they keep showing over and over, but in ways its good to get the updates on such stories however.........

So much more is reported on RTE Six One and even the 5.30 news on TV3, not just more Irish news stories but more International news stories. The same applies to BBC News at 6 and ITN and Channel 4 and of course TG4 at 7.

I think we would have been better of with Irish News Headlines on the hour and build it from there.

I think the Irish Internet News Service is just as good as Sky.
    satellite and not everybody in country has sky digital

500,000 - Sky Digital
    300,000 - NTL
    200,000 - Chourus

Much of the country has Sky News

I think the Herald's story on it being a flop is true especially when you think about all the coverage it go from so many news outlets plus its a new Irish Service. General we take a look at the first episode of something new. Only 48,000 tuned in the first night and the first episode of the weakest link had 400,000 viewer. But then Sky News Ireland is up againist Emmerdale, Nationwide and PrimeTime.
    I think its a great idea, speaking as a regular viewer of Sky News, and indeed UK News in general. I lived in London for nine years so I tend to watch more English News, as in Sky, London Tonight and BBC London rather than RTE & TV3, but thats just my preference.

You could always catch RTE or TV3 news at some stage during the night, you would certainly get more information from them.

Remember Alot of Irish Euro go to SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maric

my eyes

Advertisement