Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9800 pro overclock

Options
  • 14-05-2004 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I just got me a artic cooler for my 9800 pro just wondering when i looked at the ati tool to overclock you have to raise the 2 values seperate, this is my first time overclocking is there a ration they have to be raised in?

Thanks in advance

Bu11et_Proof

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Thats what I did anyway. I set the values at default and fine the max core. When I found the max core I set it at default again and then I find the max memory. After that I set it to my max core and max memory and search for artifacts. ATItool wont give you an accurate max overclock of your card but it'll give youa rough idea. You'll probably increase/decrease it abit from whatever max it finds for your card. By the way, what core and memory your card comes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Yep, ditto with what Neo said. I did it the exact same way, found the max on each independantly. You can run an overclock on either just the processor, just the memory or both, no worries. Once you set a combination of values, set it to finding artefacts for a while (up to you how long. When I was fine tuning I left it run half an hour to an hour. If it didn't find artefacts in that time I'd up it a little more, if it did, lowered it a bit). When you set a value, it looks after small adjustments to keep correct ratios. It's a nice tool.

Its highly advisable that you keep an eye on ATItool when you are running either the core, memory or artifacts tests. You want to make sure that you are running your card without artifacts. After running your test, try running intensive games like Far Cry for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I beleave my core is a R350, anyone know how well that will o/c? its water cooled too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i reckon mine is a r350 core as well as i bought it in october last but it does a good bit over XT speeds, depends on the card and the memory. the fact that you are water cooled though should help ya lash it up a good bit. perhaps you could hit 500mhz on the core?

• Advertisement

Hmmm... You're really making me want to go H2O... Topping at 430/385 with the Arctic cooler. 500 would be tasteh!

Some believe the R350 overclock better than the R360 so you should be able to overclock it well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    Hmmm... You're really making me want to go H2O... Topping at 430/385 with the Arctic cooler. 500 would be tasteh!
    Adeptus, have you tried the gigacube XT BIOS? My max mem was 380, but with the gigacube BIOS I got to 405! The timings are obviously slacker, but the extra speed more than compensates for that.

Originally posted by Sir Random
    Adeptus, have you tried the gigacube XT BIOS? My max mem was 380, but with the gigacube BIOS I got to 405! The timings are obviously slacker, but the extra speed more than compensates for that.
    Wow! No I haven't. I used the BIOS you posted in another thread a while back. Have you been playing BIOSs since? :)

If you have a link that'd be great!

BTW, did you ever dremel that heatsink to make memory heatsinks for your 9800?

BIOS attached. It's for Samsung 2.8ns ram, but I'm fairly sure all these cards have the same ram, so you should be ok. Most people gained ~20Mhz with this BIOS :D

P.S. I made the heatsinks, but still don't have any epoxy. I might just attach them with rubber bands :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again Random! Yep, it's Sammy memory on the Sapphire allright. I'll give that a go later on and let ya know the results.

K, Flashed it up again. Core O/C was as before, but the memory went up to 415 finding the max memory. Got a good stable O/C of 428/408 and finally beat the 7K 3DMark03! 7001 to be precise! :D Did get a few sparklies though, but no sparklies at 427/405 3D: 6975!

I'd really like to stick on some memory heatsinks. Will look into it/

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    finally beat the 7K 3DMark03! 7001 to be precise! :D
    Lol, great stuff! :D

Just a bit of warning. Dont run ATITool too long. I've heard a couple of ppl frying their cards for running ATITool for about 1 hour or so.

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Just a bit of warning. Dont run ATITool too long. I've heard a couple of ppl frying their cards for running ATITool for about 1 hour or so.
    Was that where they ran the Find Max and let it go, or just running a steady stable overclock? I've run it for a few hours gaming and such with a stable overclock, and the temps stayed consistant. The Find Max will certianly fry it if left unattended.

Sorry, forgot to mention, it happened when trying the "Find Max" memory.

Sorry, forgot to mention, it happened when trying the "Find Max" memory.
    Ouch! :( I had the case open yesterday while trying some overclocks, and put my finger on one of the memory modules on the 9800. Hot! It's a dangerous proggy allright if you leave it going. They should build something in to stop the Find Max once it finds an error, or at least an option to do so.

ATITool okay to a certain extend in finding the max core speed but really bad at finding max memory speed. It'll probably go beyond what your memory module can handle and thus the reason why it could fry your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I see you guys are overclocking ur 9800 pro's.

I have a Powercolor 128mb 9800 Pro and ATI Tool. I am also gonna fit one of these coolers tonight.

When I fit the cooler, what should I do? What is the safest length of time I should leave ATITool running.

I dont want to leave it running all night as I have a feeling it will ruin my card.

What is the best way to use ATI Tool.

thanks

Originally posted by Loobz
    I see you guys are overclocking ur 9800 pro's.

I have a Powercolor 128mb 9800 Pro and ATI Tool. I am also gonna fit one of these coolers tonight.

When I fit the cooler, what should I do? What is the safest length of time I should leave ATITool running.

I dont want to leave it running all night as I have a feeling it will ruin my card.

What is the best way to use ATI Tool.

thanks

DONT EVER LEAVE IT RUNNING ALL NIGHT!!!
    Read my previous post, I've explained how I set it up. I usually run it about 10-15 minutes each test. It should find your max core or memory.

Always remember - THE BEST ARTIFACT TESTERS ARE LOCATED IN THE TWO SOCKETS IN YOUR HEAD, BETWEEN YOUR EARS, IN FRONT OF YOUR BRAIN :)

When looking for core artifacts:
    -white "snow" in the water of Mother Nature test of 3DM2K3
    -white "snow" near the elephant's and rhino's hind legs in the pixel shader test of 3DM2K3
    -white "snow" anywhere in Aquamark3, especially the large scale vegetation test (be careful, there's a lot of sparkling lights in AQM3 that ARE supposed to be there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Put the Artic cooler on mine last nite. Used atitool and got it to 395/393. I've got a Saphire R350 with the sammi memory. is there any point in flashing it to the XT bios as its a R350 ? Also I didn't remove shim as it looked to be fairly level with the gpu so just put a thin layer of paste on the heatsink and gpu. I've hear enough horror stories of people killing there cards while taking the shims off.

I've got the R350 and I couldnt flash it to any XT bios but you could give it go if you like. Or you could try the Gecube 9800Pro bios. SOme have reported that they were able to overclock more with the Gecube bios. I didnt remove the shim either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

I've got the R350 and I couldnt flash it to any XT bios but you could give it go if you like. Or you could try the Gecube 9800Pro bios. SOme have reported that they were able to overclock more with the Gecube bios. I didnt remove the shim either.

I've got a PowerColor 9800Pro with R350 core, Samsung memory.

I havent seen anyone else with my card who has flashed it - so I'm a bit
    weary of what to flash it with.

You say you couldnt falsh yours - was it easy to recover from a bad flash or
    did it just not take it at all? ta.

“Roll it back”

Well let me rephrase that actually. I could flash it but when I ran 3DMarks I was getting black squiggly lines all over the place in the second and third test. Some of the games I tried playing had graphic corruption as well. So I had to reflash it back to my original bios. I tried this with a couple different XT bios. One of the times I tried, I couldnt flashed back to the original bios. So I went to download the bios for my card and its working again.
    I've given up flashing to XT anyway. Getting it to XT speed is good enough for me.

There's no point in flashing an R350 to XT. The R360 has advanced shader paths, and games/apps will be directed (by the XT drivers) to use these paths. The R350 doesn't physically have them, so you'll get screen corruption wherever there should be shading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

There's no point in flashing an R350 to XT. The R360 has advanced shader paths, and games/apps will be directed (by the XT drivers) to use these paths. The R350 doesn't physically have them, so you'll get screen corruption wherever there should be shading

I thought as much. Happy enough with the results so far anyway. If I could hit 6k in 3dmark2003 that would do me. I've got it to 5911 so far.

Originally posted by ozmo
    I've got a PowerColor 9800Pro with R350 core, Samsung memory.

So have I, well at least i think its a R350core, how does yours overclock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    So have I, well at least i think its a R350core, how does yours overclock?
    I havent got the exact figures with me now - but I did get just over the 20K in 3dbench 2001. And I think it was 49 in Aquamark.
    All back to stock speeds now as the Shuttle runs way too hot (typically 70C).

Also I burnt out my last 9800Pro, on my second one now - Got a nice Maplins dual temperature probe for 30 euros to keep an eye on it. well recommended if you are overclocking. 9800Pro runs at 60C on stock fan and 45 to 50 on Artic Cooler.

“Roll it back”

good good, i was able to get a stable 3dmark03 score with the core at 452 and the memory at 392

• Advertisement
Advertisement