Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last night 14th fitz

Options
  • 14-05-2004 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I finally got to the last table
    and won a ticket... good buzz.

my question is do you have to use the tickets for the big thursday game
    or can you say split it up and get entry into a couple of the
    monday €100 freezeouts for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I don't know. As far as I know they're very nice about stuff like that and will help you out if they can though they really want as many people at the €250 game as possible to boost it's reputation.

If I ever win a ticket I'm going to try and do the same because I really like the €100 + €10 game. Maybe ask if you can put €60 with your €270 and get three tickets to the Monday freezeout. The extra cash should sway them I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

well done whiteshadow. I would say Luke will let you do whatever you want. He is fairly reasonable about things like that. Tell him you wash your hair on the last Thursday of every month and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

yeah reckon ill do that.
    im on some buzz today though!

would much prefer a few big cash games i think
    than be reraised all in in the first hand by noel furlong!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i recommend giving the 250 a go, nothing like it, you will learn alot... having said that you will get more poker from the 100 games... but still go for the 250 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What seat number were you at the final table? I was watching a friend playing. I got cought on the bluff again, that's twice in 2 days. I thought the blinds wern't allowed get big hands :)

• Advertisement

i was seat 2.
    was your friend in seat 3?

and all that hullabaloo about norman?
    sound familiar?
    :confused:

Edit:just had my friend on phone - he told me what happened

Yeah I had friends in 3 and 7 or 8. Was it you Norman gave the "good tournement play" speech?? He likes to train the youngsters. He was right though, you shouldn't raise when there is a player all-in unless you have the nuts.

Last week I did it to Norman, except I had Pocket Aces. A guy called Norman's raise so he was all-in but I went over the top of Norman - he went mad at me. He wasn't impressed and had to lay down his hand. I figured it was a legitimate play seeing as I had a genuine hand. Norman felt I should have just called and checked it down with him 'cause there was a man all-in. My Aces got cracked by the all-in guy who hit a set of Jacks. The look on Norman's face was priceless though. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under.

yup that was me alright.
    fair point i suppose but you'd swear i just raped his granny.
    it was my first time at the final table and wasn't really paying
    attention and just was throwing a bit of weight around.

bad play by me but sure i've learned that lesson now.

but you're right... if looks could kill!

Originally posted by whiteshadow
    you'd swear i just raped his granny.
    :D

You reckon he was overreacting so? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

This is something that irritates me hugely. Norman will raise if he has a big hand and the table is checking someone down. Why is it OK for him to do it and no-one else. I also noticed last Sunday that when ever one of the young bucks raised rather than checking down, the old timers threw dirty looks around the table. On the other hand, when one of them did it, it seemed OK. So WTF is the story? I have never read anywhere that you are supposed to check down an all in player. I understand the thinking behind it and I can even understand the whole unwritten rule thing. But what pisses me off is that the older players seem to think it is their exclusive right to raise with a good hand when someone is all in. Has anyone else noticed this?

MrP

• Advertisement

i agree completely pud, its like they have a 'clique' going on... im never gonna let that mentality effect my play... its your money, your chips you play as you deem fit too, dont let them rattle you its what they are trying to do

and well sometimes when there is one person all in you want to get the other players out of the pot, none of this checking nonsense

Originally posted by MrPudding
    But what pisses me off is that the older players seem to think it is their exclusive right to raise with a good hand when someone is all in. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I have actually. Some of them only seem to remember the "ettiquette" of poker when it runs in their favour, having said that I've never had a run in with any of them and for the most part the older fellas are all sound.

I reckon you should deal a few cock punches the next time.

I stick to my own rules on it. Obviously everyone has their own opinions. With a man all in, If you have a great hand free flop you should raise, i.e A,A K,K Q,Q, if not just call or check in the BB. After the flop is down only bet with the nuts, if you only hit a pair keep checking. Problems is everyone has their own ideas, so if you check after you hit top pair and someone bets large - what the hell can you do? There is no clear rules, best thing to do is play it they way you want - afterall as Kratta says it's your money - you paid in you can do what you want with your chips.

One good tip though: if you want to check it down but are afraid of others betting and you are first to act - check before the card is even turned. I did this last week and the other 2 lads in the hand copped on.

I don't really let it rattle me. When it comes down to it, as you said, it's my chips and my cards. I'll do as please.

I think you may be right, I may have to administer some sharp cock punches, of course I may also need to employ a swift pubic bone punch for our phallically (is that even a word?)challenged players.

The simple fact is I am mad for it and don't really care what anyone thinks.

MrP

didnt really mean you really... just you as in yourself when your playing if you get me :confused::( :dunno: :ninja:

I know you didn't mean me. I was just saying tha I personally would not let it rattle me. God this is awkward.:D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Cock punches should be issued on a 'need-for-cockpunch' basis only. They should not be issued willy-nilly.

The way I see 'checking it down' is that unless you are at the final table you don't need to bother doing it. If there's a player all-in, and you think you have a huge chance to beat him no matter what he has hit, say you have top 2 pair or better, then you can bet it. You are likely to be ahead and you don't want to be outdrawn, so you raise to get the other players out.

At the final table it can be a different story altogether. You want that all-in player to be knocked out no matter what, as it means you automatically rise up the pay scale, this isn't really the case if there's 2+ tables left in the tournament.
    Even if you have a big hand, you might want to let the other players see everything to the river for free, just in case the all-in player has hit something. You need someone to beat him.

But bottom line is that its your chips to do with what you will. Don't let unhappy old-skoolers put you off making a play for the pot.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In the big game I was at 24,000 chips early on and Noel Furlong was on 1500. He went all in on a hand and got 5 callers (myself included with J9 simply because I wanted a shot at the title :) )
    Flop came Jxx and I bet out 4k to the worst round of stares, glares and harrumphing you've ever had. Normally I wouldnt be bothered but I was kind pissed off at the general consensus that I was a moron betting out. Noone said anything but you could feel it so I said "hey, I dont care if he stays at the table, I'm after those chips, I've hit my card and now I want to shut you guys out from free cards. Too bad!"
    When I showed my hand and won the pot one oldtimer at least had the stones to say I was right and fair dues.

I'll usually check down a guy at the final table but not if there is a big pot I want to win. If I flop a monster I'll play it like any other hand (since I presume I've already accomplished the task of knocking out the all-in'er), that logic stands up in my mind.

DeV.

Advertisement