Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of Churched endorsed 'Family Planning'

Options
  • 13-05-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

I'll state up front that I am an atheist and this post is in no way meant to be disparaging etc.

My brother and I were discussing church endorsed methods of family planning. He reckons that the Rythm Method and Withdrawl method are church endorsed while I reckon that its only the Rythm method. The reason I gave him was that if one of the reasons for condoms and masturbation being sinful is that it is akin to "thy shalt not spill thine seed" etc then obviously the withdrawl method also involves 'spilling thine seed' in an even messier way and thus withdrawl couldn't be church endorsed.

Who is correct??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

None of the reformed churches have problems with contraception. I am a member of a Prebyterian church and the married couples there all use condoms/the pill/whatever, very happily.

The Roman Catholic Church and the WHO promote natural family planning in the form of the rhythm method (timing when you're ovulating and avoiding sex then). As for the withdrawal method, I don't think anybody promotes that as it is entirely ineffective. The rhythm method when practiced properly and tightly (following the guidelines and taking one's temperature when necessary etc.) is actually a very good method of contraception and is particularly good for getting women in tune with their bodies. It sure ain't foolproof, but nothing is.

Edited to say: while I disagree with the RC stance on contraception, having spoken to believing catholics, they have a sound argument and good reasons for avoiding it in a stable marital relationship and it is a stance that I think warrants respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The passage about Onan "spilling seed" according to many commentators is not about masturbation or contraception. Using it to forbide either is taking it out of context.

Properly done (examining mucus, temperature, charts etc) natural contraception has a higher "saftey" rate than condoms, which can come off or split. Tablets can be forgotten. It is'nt the Rythm method though as that is simpler and less accurate.

The "withdrawal" method doesn't work and creates very unsatisfied partners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well, the unoffical RC position, I've found talking about the topic of Theology a damper on amourous pursuits. Just to start talking on the subject of heretic gnositcs or the martyrdoom of St. Julian, will soon cool any ardour. :)

Advertisement