Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Unsigned Bands re: Copyright

Options
  • 13-05-2004 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hey guys

This may work well if its a sticky thread!

If anyone else has suggestions of tips your more than welcome to add to the list.

Tips for Unsigned Bands Regarding Proof of Copyright.

These tips are for unsigned bands who release their music to Radio/TV Stations, Record Labels National/International, Bars/Pubs, Advertising/Media etc.

1. Make plenty of copies of your cd/cassette etc.

2. Mark & Date a cd/cassette by label.

3. Type out all the titles/lyrics for the songs on that cd/cassette.

4. Date & Sign all lyrics

5. If possible do out music sheets relating to the music in the bands i.e. notes/melody’s,guitar tabs or chords etc.

6. Make copies of everthing.

7. Put the lyrics, music sheets and cd/cassettes into a register post letter.

8. Send 1 copy to each member of the band or family members. And to yourself.

9. Keep receipts of tracking numbers/proof of post & receipts etc.

When ready send on your cd/cassette to Radio/TV stations, Record Labels etc. Remember most companies will keep your cd/cassette.

If you ever hear a song that is relatively similar to yours and would like to take action you then will have the proof that your songs were created by you and at a specific date, than those songs that have been released.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

eh yeah ok that'll work :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

I'd love to know the serious answer to this
    problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

That is preety much correct, although i dont think you made on point clear. you should file away the unopened package containing all the related material. send normal companies to radio stations etc.

this also works with any intellectual property ideas eg for books, computer games, movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This is already in the charter, but it's always good to have a reminder, and yes, it's the only thing you can do in Ireland to secure your music.

Originally posted by Giblet
    This is already in the charter, but it's always good to have a reminder, and yes, it's the only thing you can do in Ireland to secure your music.

actually no it's not but in accordance with the almighty bible of boards.ie I can't open my mouth:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

We went through this, and your method went through england. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Care to pm me your method raptor? :)

Originally posted by Giblet
    We went through this, and your method went through england. :D

no actually gibby old chum ONE of the methods went through england the other is done in good oul Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Question: What about worldwide copyright? I often see "Worldwide copyright secured". How would you go about achieving that?

Advertisement