Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Semi Final

Options
  • 13-05-2004 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Not that I'm a fan or anything but saw the end of this last night and it puzzled me. On what grounds were 14 countries put through to the final while the other 20 (I think) had to go through the semi final? It certainly wasn't based on last years result as the UK went straight to the final - it makes no sense at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭halkar

Yep, that puzzled me too, according to BBC The UK has been admitted into this year's final as it is one of the event's biggest contributors.
    Really enjoyed the semi finals and can't wait for the finals :cool:
    I like the Greek song Shake Shake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i heard that the top 10 (i think) countries from last year get through automatically, and countries like the UK, despite a poor performance last year, get through because they're one of the the biggest contributors to the European Broadcasting Union. but i could be mistaken.

(edit) well, there you go, beaten to the punch - good job halkar (/edit)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Thats exactly it, lads.

Top 10 last year plus the big 4 (UK, Spain, France and Germany, regardless of where they finished last year) are automatically in the Saturday Grand Prix.

Anyone outside of the above mentioned, and also anyone who wanted (like Andorra for the first time and Monaco first effort in donkeys) too part in the semi-final last night for the final 10 slots in the Final on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Ahh I see so they paid their way in.

Interesting how Ireland is almost always in the top 5 of the bookies favourites to win. Can't see it happening this year though - not with that song!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by thejuggler
    Ahh I see so they paid their way in.

Interesting how Ireland is almost always in the top 5 of the bookies favourites to win. Can't see it happening this year though - not with that song!

Thats cos the whole thing is a political vote, ie us and englan usually give each other points (england finishing on 0 points being the exception). Because politically we generally dont piss anyone off (starting wars and the like) we usually get good points even if the song isnt great. I'm not saying we havnt had good songs in the past btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Perhaps letting 10 in is too much.

The song were so bad, the EBU should actually make sure that only good songs enter.

EBU SHOULD SEND A MEMO

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THIS SONG REPRESENTS YOUR COUNTRY OR EUROPE IN A GOOD LIGHT.

this memo should be passed on to phil coulter

but in relation to the semi final.

1. One song should go though to the final
    2. each country should vote for 8 songs
    3. giving a 1 to 8 score (to prevent song getting more votes then the winning song in the final contest)
    4. if a song scores higher then songs in this years final then those country should automatically be entered into next years final, while the winning country will automatically be entered next years final no matter what happens in this final.

eg
    Country 1 gets 1st place in semi final in 2005 goes through to 2005 and 2006 final
    Country 2 gets more votes then countries in the 2005 final and are given places in the 2006 final.
    Country 3 gets 0 points in the final they are sent to the semi final, no matter how much money they give.
    Country 4 gets less points the countries in the semi final 2005 then they are entered into the semi final in 2006

Confussing but fair.

and save us 3 hours of crap music.

15 countries should only be entered into the final.

ALL COUNTRIES SHOULD GET TO VOTE IN BOTH THE SEMI FINAL AND THE FINAL

They'll never change from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 and 12 as its the best part.

And all 36 countries will pick the winner on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They'll never change from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 and 12 as its the best part.

Only for the semi final they did away with it anyway.

Only slightly. They did reveal what points were given to those outside of the top 10 on Wednesday. AS it was a qualifer, it didnt matter what the top ten got. And they didnt get reveal who won the semi-final yet, as that would be ammo for the bookies.

Advertisement