Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a BBQ

Options
  • 12-05-2004 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Aul lad's had this idea in his head for a while, build a BBQ in the back. We've got perfect landscape for it and could easily get blocks and materials from around the house and the estate - there's a load of building going on, we've bits left from when we built the house.

We could probably design and build it ourselves, but we're just looking for recommendations on materials, dimensions etc.

It would be a charcoal BBQ of course, so where could you get those large grill racks for placing the meat on?

Anyone got a few links to a tutorial etc?

Has anyone built one or have experiences with one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to DIY place / supermarket. Buy one - starting at about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

No no no...
    I want to build a BBQ pit, from blocks and cement.

Originally posted by conZ
    No no no... I want to build a BBQ pit, from blocks and cement.
    Go to DIY ... :D

Make sure you use fire proof cement and allow sufficient ventilation. What are you going to use as the actual grill / tray?

Make sure it is well away from flamable stuff and clothes lines.

Hmm, yes, fire proof cement. It'll be well away from any hazards.

I suppose it'll be an open top. I'll probably get my uncle to weld a custom grill and tray, if they cant be found in a shop.

Should I get a steel plate made to burn the coals on, or just burn them on plain brick/block? That would make it easier to clean, and I wouldn't have to worry about dampness on the block.

Hmmm, what else would I have to take into account? What size, if any foundation would I have to set? How thick, and just normal cement..., not fireproof.

Should I get a steel plate made to burn the coals on, or just burn them on plain brick/block? That would make it easier to clean, and I wouldn't have to worry about dampness on the block.
    You usually have a deep metal try for the coals. Having a metal tray seated on block would drain away too much heat.
    What size, if any foundation would I have to set? How thick, and just normal cement..., not fireproof.
    Make the foundation 200-300mm deep and 150mm bigger all round than the blockwork. Ordinary concrete. Dig the foundation at least 450mm deep (this is much less that you would use with a house).

Add some expanded metal to each joint as reinforcement in the blockwork above tray level to prevent corner blocks being knocked off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Conz,

I should have some drawings for large brick barbecues at home. If you want a copy send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll get them to you on Monday.

Occidental, pm sent.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Hi occidental i sent you a pm aswell
    Regards
    gary

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I seen the grill trays for sale in argos but I think they only have one size

Advertisement