Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid cars get low mileage.

Options
  • 12-05-2004 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/05/12/1436225.shtml?tid=126

Apparently hybrids mileage claims are based on spurious EPA mileage criteria.

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

Personally, I think Hybrids are a step in the wrong direction.

While costly, I'm firmly in favour of solar power being deployed as a spaced based solution and large investments in finding low-radiation fission or preferably room-temptrature/cold fusion technologies.

Long term and I mean really long term, like when humans start to seriously colonise the likes of the Moon, Mars and Jovian Satellites, those two technologies are the only two practicle and sustainable technologies.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First hyrids should be diesel not petrol.

Space power plants - 50% efficiency of microwave transmissions, but the other 50% would not be appealing to the anti-emf bods. And it would all contribute to warming up - if we all used as much power as the USA citizens do (the right to a shirt sleeve environment ? as per consititution)

Then again the economics of getting orbital power stations, it's probably better to get a space elevator set up. And then there is all the reflected sunlight.

also point out that USA consume x% of energy budget etc.

Rather than colonise the planets we should be looking at space stations (ie. at the top of the gravity well) also means it's harder to wipe us out with a single asteroid.

Advertisement