Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Berg

Options
  • 12-05-2004 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I just watched the entire video of guy getting his head cut off. Its terrifying. My mind is completely blown, I have no idea how to react.

I was just wondering what everyone thought of this. American Civilian Beheaded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i heard a blow by blow account on the radio - don't think i could bring myself to watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Yahoo just show an AP edited version of the video, you don't actually see the beheading.

I'm not quite sure I really want to see the full thing either David.. What must it be like for the family watching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Nick Berg wasnt even a soldier. He was just a techie like me. Very sad. They held him on the floor and sawed his head off with a knife as he screamed. Another sad day for the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 meesha_beesha

Originally posted by Emerson
    Yahoo just show an AP edited version of the video, you don't actually see the beheading.

I'm not quite sure I really want to see the full thing either David.. What must it be like for the family watching it?

There are real videos floating around. I got mine from SomethingAwful, no less. And let me just say, they were not merciful. It was a slow death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is not something you want to see, I though going by what was said on media reports that it would have been quick with a sword or such.

It's very slow and awful, I didn't turn on the sound didn't want to hear that!!

Very sad to see a life ended this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

uggh.. I actually felt physically sick watching it even though I had it reduced way down and the sound off. I will not be watching it again in a hurry.

I do feel people need to see the horrible realities of war however.. I've no doubt these types of atrocities happen every day of the week in some part of the world. It's only when we see them for ourselves in front of our eyes that we repulse them to such an extent...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I just watched it today and i actually feel so ashamed.

I think that that video is possibly the worst thing i have ever ever seen. The sound alone was terrible. Had to run to the bathroom and throw up....

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

I found the video. It only took a little over a day for it to be available on the net.

BUT - I couldn't watch it - there were too many postings from other people saying they wished they hadn't, and that the sound of the screams would haunt them.

I think I made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe one becomes desensitised to these things. It was horrible sure, and a disgusting example of how low humanity can go. I've no problem sleeping having seen it though, and it's not something that will haunt me.

It's not as slow and brutal a death as it would seem at first glance. He appears to be dead quite soon (within 5 seconds) after the cutting begins, probably due to the jugular being severed, even though it takes about 30 to remove his head. 5 seconds though can seem like an eternity I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Im just in college and these two guys beside me were watching it and getting their friends over to see, all gawking and such nonsense I dont think they understood what they were seeing. As for me I turned away I couldnt watch that, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

I think it's interesting to watch. You hear about it happening and you imagine what it would be like but to even try and understand it you have to see it. I cant understand how a human can do that to another. But it is the way of man and it will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm densensitized to a lot of sick shit, watched it thinking it would be just chopping off head with sword which I could handle, but nothing could have prepared me for that video. Was totally horrified, and my hairs were standing on end for hours. If you do feel you have to watch it, watch it with the sound turned down, the screams make it all the more sickening. Even when they're holding the head towards the camera, it's still partially attached to the body by the spine.

It sickens me further than the US administration allowed this, rather than release a few prisoners (some of which were children).

Originally posted by tba
    Im just in college and these two guys beside me were watching it and getting their friends over to see, all gawking and such nonsense I dont think they understood what they were seeing. As for me I turned away I couldnt watch that, ever.
    Report them. That kind of **** isn't on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

that kind of muppetry aint on at all.

Anyone who sees this video and doesnt feel sick or isn't horrified by (or at least doesnt learn something serious from it) has a problem IMO. This isnt like a funny clip of someone falling over, this is serious stuff.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What do people make of this theory?

Of course conspiracy nuts will allways find a conspiracy, but some of that info is pretty startiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Pretty horrid stuff alright

Although conspiracy theorys are all over the net with this one at the moment.

Some of them quite interesting as well...

http://www.aztlan.net/berg_abu_ghraib_video.htm

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/5/15/22827/0477

to name but 2

google finds a lot more

link

What do you guys think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the link goodshape put up raises a few interesting points (regarding his dress, the amount of blood etc). Alot of the stuff (such as the accent) is abit of hear-say and that, and is something I couldnt really comment on.

Saying that, I wont really believe any such theories without serious back up... although it is a bizarre situation none the less

Flogen

11) Berg is killed before torture photos released but video tape refers to photos?
    To quote "Fishy Circumstances and Flawed Timelines Surround American's Beheading)":
    "me and a friend were discussing recent news events and trying to piece together the information presented to us, thought you might want to look into this further, they said in the news that Nicholas Berg was killed 2 weeks ago (i think), however in the video the culprits who killed him said they were "avenging iraqi prisoner abuse" but those photos weren't released until last week, so my question is how is that even a possible motive if he was killed prior to the abuse photos being released?? maybe i am misinformed but thought id ask the question to someone who would look into it."

Well it's non inconceivable that word got around before the official release of the photos.
    15) Orange jumpsuit
    Berg shown in video wearing orange jumpsuit known to be of U.S. issue. The orange jump suit "appears" to be identical to the jumpsuits used at Guantanamo. (Compare with pictures at Guantanamo.) The orange jumpsuit was standard US military issue to men in custody. It is unlikely Berg would continue wearing a U.S. custodial uniform if he had been released by the military as they claim. The fact he was still wearing the suit is both anomalous and suggestive. One wonders: Was there an immediate transfer of Berg from the US military to unknown persons, preventing Berg from discarding his US prison garb?

It's also not inconceivable that the murderers got their hands on a jumpsuit from somewhere (it's not like it's plutonium) and dressed him in it for symbolic purposes.
    16) No blood at decapitation
    When Berg is decapitated, there was almost no blood. If Berg were still alive at this point, with the cut starting at front of throat, blood would have been spraying everywhere. Berg's severed head, the floor, Berg's clothes, and even the hand of the 'Arab' who decapitated Berg had no visible blood on it. When the executioner holds up Berg's head immediately following what is represented as an actual decapitation of a living person, there is no significant blood flow from the neck or blood splatters showing anywhere on the executioner.

Now this, this did make me suspicious when I was watching the video. (I was hoping for him to bleed to death quickly to shorten proceedings, kind of like when you hear of someone drowning in a frozen lake and you hope they passed out from hypothermia before actually drowning).
    18) Berg may have been dead just before beheading
    The lack of spurting blood and lack of movement suggests Berg was already dead at the time of the alleged decapitation. During the beheading, Berg's eyes are not seen. Camera angle made it impossible to see if Berg's eyes were open or glassy. Berg very probably was killed before the staged beheading. Did the captors have no stomach for the beheading of a living person?

Yeah this seems likely. He seemed scaringly calm in the run up to the beheading. And the video was too grainy for you to see his eyes clearly.

27) Scream dubbed in: Screaming starts while Berg is not moving and before he is touched
    Whatever the mismatch in the speaker and video (next point), videotape cognoscenti have said the scream was amateurishly dubbed into the tape. The writer of this K5 article reviewed this issue closely: The screaming starts (at 4:31 - on the copy I viewed, not the time stamp) about 5 to 6 seconds before Berg is touched (at 4:36) and he is moved to his side. He is just sitting there like a lump. While the screaming commences for (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 seconds), his head doesn't move and his mouth doesn't appear to move (though the tape is blurry), nor does he seem to be physically screaming at any time. Yet the audio plays a loud vigorous screaming. The exact same dubbed screaming continues after the long time jump and a bit of a time gap with silence and after some cutting on the head, during which Berg is not moving. This screaming seems clearly dubbed and is highly incongruous with Berg's lack of activity.

Hmmm, I thought the initial screams came from women watching the event behind the camera. The screams start when the knife is taken out and they appear to be screams from multiple people.

Originally posted by Stark
    Now this, this did make me suspicious when I was watching the video. (I was hoping for him to bleed to death quickly to shorten proceedings, kind of like when you hear of someone drowning in a frozen lake and you hope they passed out from hypothermia before actually drowning).
    I don't know about anyone else, but the one I saw was very poor quality, and although colour was visible, it wasn't great. I had thought I'd seen blood soaking/running along the ground under his neck, but I'd only watched it twice and wasn't exactly studying it in great detail. There is also the very small possibility that his heart stopped beating quickly enough so that the blood didn't spray everywhere.
    Yeah this seems likely. He seemed scaringly calm in the run up to the beheading. And the video was too grainy for you to see his eyes clearly.
    It does seem likely, but it would have required some good editing of poor footage, which I didn't suspect, but I haven't an eye for these things. Berg, although quiet and not struggling, was clearly moving while the guys were standing behind him and made some degree of effort when they pinned him down. The lack of movement, lack of serious attempt to escape when they pinned him down, and the staring into space, suggested to me that he had been drugged before the taping so he would be easier to control and to just have sit there.
    Berg had poor grasp of the language, so it's quite likely that he thought he was just being paraded. I'm pretty sure he had no idea that he was going to die, or what had happened with the Iraqi prisoners, hence the obedience while the speech was going on.

Hmmm, I thought the initial screams came from women watching the event behind the camera. The screams start when the knife is taken out and they appear to be screams from multiple people.
    I had assumed that the screaming was coming from somewhere else - perhaps, as you say, a woman in the room, who didn't realise they were going to kill Berg until they said it, or maybe another prisoner who understood what they were saying. I don't think it was dubbed it at all. If Berg had been drugged, I think it's unlikely he would have screamed between the time they pinned him down and the time they first cut his throat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement