Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra fan n00b

Options
  • 11-05-2004 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I have an old machine thats heating up. The fan on the motherboard is loose due to a broken off plastic lip on the motherboard. I'm not too worried about this, because if the processor / motherboard die its not a big loss (p2 200 system). I don't want to lose the 40 gig HDD however, and its also quite warm to touch.

I have a fan connector that looks exactly like the orange one at the bottom of this picture. I have no idea where to attach its power connector to. Will it be a connector on the motherboard (in which case the manual leaves a lot to be desired, but I can probably figure it out) or do I need some sort of standard power-cable adaptor?

I'm also presuming I'll get better heat dissipation by leaving the case off? But if I do leave it off will new cooling fans I attach have any effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

that orange connector attaches to the motherboard. there should be about 2-3 places where you can attach it.

you can get adaptors if you can't figure it out. try maplins.

leave on the case, it aids the air-flow through the case.
    if you're worried about heat get a case fan or 2 with standard molex connections
    [the one on the top of the pic you supplied]

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_YS_Tech_60.html

look for one of the 4 pin 80mm ones.

dave

Advertisement