Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ainm ar mo Pás

Options
  • 11-05-2004 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

I want to change my name on my Passport and driving License to my name in Irish, but I'm not sure how to go about it, do I need to get my birth cert changed first ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s i've tried phoning the relevent gov depts but as you can imagine you just get sent round in circles.

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I did it and I had no problems. Just send all the details in in Irish. Shouldn't be any problem. The one piece of advise I will give you is that if you decide to use your Irish name on your various ID be sure to do it all or nothing. i.e. don't have half your ID in English and half of it in Irish. It'll cause you problems in the longterm, especially if you go abroad. If you're going to do it, do it with everything. Driver's licence, passport, bank account, and everything else you can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

i was thinking about it, but isnt it a huge hassle? i dunno, id like my name in irish, but no1 would b able 2 say it (although that would certainly guard well against telemarketers;)) and also theres the issue of having the same name as my family.

tough decision:(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Originally posted by Gleanndún
    i was thinking about it, but isnt it a huge hassle? i dunno, id like my name in irish, but no1 would b able 2 say it (although that would certainly guard well against telemarketers;))and also theres the issue of having the same name as my family.

tough decision:(

People are unable to pronoune plenty of surnames in English as well; I wouldn't worry about it.

As regards having a different name to the rest of your family;no more different than a kid having a double-barreled name; half from their father, half from their mother. I would echo what Gael says; either go the whole hog and change it on all your document or not at all, especially if travelling abroad.

Dea-mhéin.

i would certainly change it on everything if i changed it. and my mom took my fathers name, so we all have the same last name, so 4 me it would b weird. and on pronunciation, if they cant pronounce lawler, which isnt that hard of a name, might i add, how will they be able to pronounce ó leathlobhair? itll probably come out sumthing more like "leaf blower". which i dont blame them---most people dont even kno irish is a language (which still pisses me off:mad:), much less how 2 read its cracked-out spellings of things. i do love my name they, and i very much love irish, and my name in irish, and id like that connexion to the language. ---still a tough choice:dunno:

You know it's funny. We all have our variou sways of asserting ourselves as teenagers. Be it the music we listen to, clothes we wear etc. But me I changed my name. How many people can say they did that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Did you get it changed legally, or did you just start using the Irish version?

gael---is teenager tú? riamh cheap mé gur seandhuine tú, oldish neway, like yoda cms 2 b, middleaged, but thats old 2 me!^^

Táim 22 bliain d'aois agus táim fós ag freastal ar an ollscoil. Bhuel, go dti an teachtain seo chugainn.

Advertisement