Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your mobile

Options
  • 11-05-2004 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

pay monthly or ready to go?

i've been bill pay for about 5 years now, think i might switch to pay as you go, i reckon its cheaper.

does anyone know, can you keep your number?

what's your mobile? 26 votes

pay monthly, bill pay
    0% 0 votes
    pay as you go
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Using a bill phone for about 3-4 years now. Will never go back to a pay as you go phone. Always know I can make a call or send a message with out needing to worry about my balance, until the end of the month when the bill comes in.

Netcomms-> Mobiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cant see any reason why not if you can keep the same number changing to a different network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by alienhead
    i've been bill pay for about 5 years now, think i might switch to pay monthly

???? they are the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ooops, i mean pay as you go!

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    ???? they are the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pay as you go for the past 5 years...
    i badly need a new phone, so i'll prolly go for a decent billphone offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

speakeasy the last 3-4 years.

with no limit on top up time it suits me grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have had a bill phone since 97, of course people would stare at you on the street of they saw you on one, find it cheaper to run than herself who has an RTG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For light use, pay as you go is way cheaper than pay monthly. I use pay as you as I don't use my phone often enough to justify pay monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i have had a bill phone for about 4 years now.

i was recently thinking of switching to metoer pay as you go. they have some fantastic prices atm, and if ya dont need a new phone is really tempting.

although im holding off for a well liked :eek: irish company to enter the mobile market, which, if ive heard right should be this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Bill phone, because I never remember to buy credit for the pay as you go :)

Nah but seriously it's actually because it works out cheaper on contract for calls, I use my phone a lot so I would be paying more in pay as you go. Also because of the contract i'm on I get the offer each year of an upgrade for a certain price. Because of how long i've been with them (vodaphone) and the size of my monthly bills, the upgrade is free for me. So far i've gone from a sharp GX10 to a 20 for free, and will be getting the upgrade to the gx30 this year for free as well :)

(btw the only reason I stick with vodaphone is because they're the only people who are registered to sell sharp GX phones here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i find pay as you go the best way.. changet from vodafone to meteor and they are very good.. free messages are great.. i had a bill phone for about two years and always had massive phone bills so had to give it up.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Pay as you go here.

It depends on how much you use your phone I think. The amount of time I spend on the mobile doesnt really warrant a bill phone so pay as you go suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I use a bill phone. The VAT is annoying, and I use it very heavily, so my bills are always 200+

AARRRGH.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Even if you forget to topup with pay as you go, you can setup the text topup service with AIB. Just send a free text to the service and you're usually topped up within 15 minutes direct from the current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pay as you go because I don't trust myself not to run up a MASSIVE bill... I once had a bill phone, it almost ended in me being sued. I got rid of it and I'll probably never go back. Vodafones free Webtexts are damn handy but I'll probably move to Meteor as soon as i can justify spending a silly amount of money on upgrading my phone (I'm still using a Nokia 3210 ffs) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Bill phone for about the last 6 years. I'm on one of those "special" deals that give me oodles of minutes off-peak but feck all on peak. That suited me more when I was a student cos now I'm getting hosed for on peak calls. Must either change my tarrif or go crazy broadway style and switch to Meteor PAYG (only for the Wap 2 support as I have a 6600)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I used to be Ready-To-Go but then last year changed to Pay Monthly and wouldn't go back for the world.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

I also have had the same number since 97 and I have been on both ready to go and contract. I am on contract now for the past few years because I use my phone alot which works out cheaper.

But theres no problem swapping between the two forms of payment. They will let you do that except if you have bought a phone with a minimum one years contract.

Also nowadays topping up your phone is very easy if you have a credit card or if you have 24hr banking with AIB (top up by text msg!).
    Also you can top up at most ATM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I have pay as you go, keeps my finances in check.

I have thought about going contract but I can't find one that'll give me a **** load of free sms with not too many free minutes. It's a completely different ball came in england with regards to phone contracts.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i had ready to go from 98 -> summer 2003 while i was in college... changed over to bill pay last summer... its a lot handier than having to top-up every so often.. i actually find its cheaper with bill pay and you get a lot more for your money...

• Advertisement
Advertisement