Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does a foreigner get a bank account?

Options
  • 10-05-2004 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

is he a republican or a democrat?
    I need to know before I answer

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

The receipt of a deposit will probably not do the trick. I came back to Ireland last year to do some work after being away for 6 years and had a hell of a time getting a bank account as my old ones were closed. What they want is a bill or something like that with your name and address on it so they can verify your address. The problem with this is that you often won't get a bill for anything (ESB etc) for 4 weeks or so. I ended up doing a deal with the bank where they created an account for me, they sent a statement to my address right off and they wouldn't issue me an ATM card until I brought the statement back into the branch to verify my address. This was BOI , AIB were worse than useless. How easy they make it all depends on who you are lucky enough to talk to. At AIB is was an olde biddy who didn't want to deal with me, at BOI I managed to talk to someone much more helpful, its the luck of the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If he gets a job it'll be really easy, they have a standard letter they do up and he can bring that to the bank and they'll open an account for him right then and there (that's what I did anyway).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by smiaras
    He's black so I'm guessing democrat - am I a racist now?

no you're not and he's defo a democrat ;)
    ok
    he will need the following (I work in an a/c dept (wages) of a factory and the russians who work with us have had to bring the following to the bank)

work visa
    letter from employer
    bill or passport or proof of address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by smiaras
    He's black so I'm guessing democrat - am I a racist now?

am i just really ignorant of american politics? how dya now this (is it kinda like if your catholic your meant to support celtic kinda thing)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

Ask your local branch what they require.

If you are Irish you usually requiere your passport(sometimes drivers licence) to open an account. If one is foreign a passport will definately be needed at least. Big crackdown on the bogus non-resident accounts( and rightly so). May need his visa( work/student/holiday), but not sure abt US visitors,
    Yes and it really does depend on the Pr*ick working in the bank. Just try and reactivate a dormant account and you will get conflicting requirements in different branches. Just calmly ask for the manager, get his name and card if no joy, but the manager usually sorts it out pronto.( eg; Yes sir you driving licence, student cards and letter from college abt graduation are valid means of identification, just 2 mins after the dolly behind the counter has told you u need a passport and a visit/letter to head office.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    am i just really ignorant of american politics? how dya now this (is it kinda like if your catholic your meant to support celtic kinda thing)?

African-Americans traditionally vote Democrat - except for the rich ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    is he a republican or a democrat?
    I need to know before I answer

That must be dumbest post today....patronising bitch indeed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i really dont see what political preferences have to do with getting a bank account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Essentially the banks need to comply with money laundering legislation. To do this they want to be sure of your identity. Usually a passport and a utility bill will be enough, however when this is not possible other documentation, e.g. a reference from an account holder (often the applicant's employer) will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Under Criminal Justice Act 1996 Bank is obliged to ask for Proof of Identity and Address Verification when opening accounts for new customers

It is a legal requirement now and failure to comply means fines etc

for a foreigner

Proof of Identity - Passport will suffice

Address Verification (AV) - In the absence of a utility bill a Notice of Determination of Tax Credits should be acceptable but again one has to wait some weeks for this

The following is usually acceptable

A letter from the foreigner's employer (providing the employer banks with the Bank in question) stating the following:
    the foreigner's Irish address
    that the individual works for them,
    has just arrived in the country and is not in a position to provide acceptable AV but will do so within 3 months

Mobile phone bills are unacceptable
    Foreign Bank/Credit Card statements unless they are UK are no good

Advertisement